Can someone help me ID this algae? Dino’s? ???

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
482
Location
Tullahoma, Tn
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help my diagnose what this is and how to go about treating it? Thanks in advance! My parameters are all within mixed reef spec except my phosphates always read 0 using Salifert test kit. I use Red Sea for Cal 430 and mag 1400. Hanna for alk 8.7. Red Sea for nitrates 20. Tank is 80 gallon mixed reef with 40 breeder sump.
7B845A68-90A2-4E51-9D00-56EF76D501C6.jpeg
99B7374E-0122-4DFF-B702-8B1433A7BF8B.jpeg
5E65F60B-D0E4-4331-8161-D9998B7849E3.jpeg
E75734D6-0235-494C-AA85-74AC568893B7.jpeg
353231DD-6184-406F-9567-151185CF0096.jpeg
167D511A-8FE0-4073-9E1A-65EA8987DB5B.jpeg
7B845A68-90A2-4E51-9D00-56EF76D501C6.jpeg
99B7374E-0122-4DFF-B702-8B1433A7BF8B.jpeg
5E65F60B-D0E4-4331-8161-D9998B7849E3.jpeg
E75734D6-0235-494C-AA85-74AC568893B7.jpeg
353231DD-6184-406F-9567-151185CF0096.jpeg
167D511A-8FE0-4073-9E1A-65EA8987DB5B.jpeg
 
I had something similar to this 3-4 months ago which had lots of bubbles on it. I went through 2 bottles of Dino x and never sure if I got rid of it or not. It would go away for a couple days then come right back even with half a bottle of Dino x left to use.
 
I thought I had Dino’s but after my second bottle of Dino x and trying to dirty my tank up I started running my gfo again and skimmer like normal I also dosed acropower and phytoplankton for two weeks and added copepods and live nitrifying bacteria. Now this!
 
Nitrates are 10. Phosphates read 0 using salifert test. I turned my gfo and skimmer off for a month thinking had low nutrients which may have triggered the Dino’s I had and phos still was reading 0
 
don't feel bad. i just started seeing the same fluorescent'ish green junk on my sand bed. it's only on my sand bed right now though, my PO4 is 0.03, NO3 is 3ppm, pH 8.1, dkh 8.3, Ca 450, Mg 1300. i run chaeto in and Arid reactor and have vacuumed the top layer a couple times and it comes right back. When i vacuumed it, it looks like small green cyclopeeze flakes going up into the tube. I'll be going back through my sump and overflow this weekend to see what may be feeding it but i have no clue what this type of algae is either. I've battled just about everything over the years and this little episode has me stumped. Could this be a green cyano? it doesn't look like any cyano i've had in the past.

Just recalled that i have a microscope in the garage, so i'll have to get a slide of this stuff and post later
 
Last edited:
don't feel bad. i just started seeing the same fluorescent'ish green junk on my sand bed. it's only on my sand bed right now though, my PO4 is 0.03, NO3 is 3ppm, pH 8.1, dkh 8.3, Ca 450, Mg 1300. i run chaeto in and Arid reactor and have vacuumed the top layer a couple times and it comes right back. When i vacuumed it, it looks like small green cyclopeeze flakes going up into the tube. I'll be going back through my sump and overflow this weekend to see what may be feeding it but i have no clue what this type of algae is either. I've battled just about everything over the years and this little episode has me stumped. Could this be a green cyano? it doesn't look like any cyano i've had in the past.

Just recalled that i have a microscope in the garage, so i'll have to get a slide of this stuff and post later
I’ve had several people tell me over the past few months that they have seen some stuff this year like they have never seen before in over 30 years in this hobby. If it’s Cyano, that’s almost a relief to me considering I’ve been battling Dino’s for 3 months straight. Nothing looking like this though.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top