Can you put a smaller tank into a bigger one?

Roboson

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2016
Messages
773
Reaction score
327
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 14g tank that's been up and running for almost exactly a year (Christmas gift). Now I have a 50g tank at my disposal.

Is there any way I can transfer my 14g into the bigger tank (with additional dry rock and sand) or will that cause some serious cycle issues?

I may be able to run both tanks at the same time, but I'd have to buy some additional equipment, so if at all possible I'd like to avoid that.

Thoughts?
 
I would suggest filling and cycling the 50g first and then adding the contents of your 14g once the 50 has cycled and stabilized. Adding that much rock and water could start a new cycle.
 
When I changed from my 29g to my current 90g, I put all new sand and dry rock into the 90g along with a bottle of Biospira to quick cycle. Then I started adding 1 piece of live rock from my 29g into the 90g every other day (each piece of LR was covered in coral). I had the whole setup and transfer done within about 2 weeks.
 
When I changed from my 29g to my current 90g, I put all new sand and dry rock into the 90g along with a bottle of Biospira to quick cycle. Then I started adding 1 piece of live rock from my 29g into the 90g every other day (each piece of LR was covered in coral). I had the whole setup and transfer done within about 2 weeks.

Bacteria in a bottle! [emoji106][emoji1611][emoji1363]

Oops, forgot to add that you may end up with algae issues, but if you could live through it once, you can do it again!
 
Every tank I've upgraded to I've done that without any issues. I've gone from a 50 to a 120 which leaked to a 110 which leaked then a 75 and 55 then the 55 into a 54 gallon corner tank and then both those back into a 125. I never had a single issue. No cycles no algea problems no spikes in parameters.
 
Every tank I've upgraded to I've done that without any issues. I've gone from a 50 to a 120 which leaked to a 110 which leaked then a 75 and 55 then the 55 into a 54 gallon corner tank and then both those back into a 125. I never had a single issue. No cycles no algea problems no spikes in parameters.
Very nice. I had some cycling issues going from my 20 to 40.
 
I am although worried about a new tank I'm moving Monday. I don't remember how many years it's been up but longer than a 2. But his sand bed is pretty clean. I just don't want to stir too much stuff up and I can't really afford to buy new sand as I'm already spending to much for this tank
IMG_1935.JPG
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top