Can you qt a lion fish in copper?

SkillKing21

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2018
Messages
121
Reaction score
33
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planing on getting a nice lionfish for my tank but I was wondering if I can QT them in copper or are they like a eel that can’t be near copper.Do I even need to QT them at all?
 
Classically it is not recommended to use copper with lionfish, but it has been done with success by some. Can't comment from experience as I've never kept lionfish. If done, should be with a chelated copper like Copper Power (and Hanna checker to make sure levels aren't toxic). If you can get chloroquine phosphate, that may be a safer option. And yes, lionfish, and all fish, should be quarantined.
 
Are there any other ways to qt a lionfish
 
Are there any other ways of qt them because I wanted to buy this 500$ lionfish online and I don’t want it to die on me during qt.
 
Copper or CP would be to address ich and velvet specifically. For ich, yes, you can do the TTM. For the possibility of velvet, I'm afraid not. And velvet is very common these days. I've never seen a lionfish become afflicted by velvet, but it could still bring it in to your system.
 
Can you like leave the lionfish in a qt so the ich and marinevelvet parasites and starve to death?
 
Unfortunately they will only "starve to death" if a fish is not present. Otherwise, the life cycle will continue because a fish host is available.
 
Do the white spot still show up on a lionfish like any other fish?
 
Do the white spot still show up on a lionfish like any other fish?
They may, or they may not. That's the thing, even if presence of disease isn't obvious, the fish can still be carrying it.
 
Will the tank transfer method work on ick and marine velvet on a lionfish?
 
Back in the 80's,there were plenty of lion fish around.And they got full blown ich and velvet
 
So copper has a 50% survival rate?
 
May I ask what kind of lion fish goes for $500. Black volitan lionfish go for around $39 here.
 
It is a huge huge volition lionfish
 
I've been looking for a small solid black,hard to come by.Every time a really black one comes around they are sold.I've also seen glittery golden color ones.I don't know if they are aloud to import them any more?
 
Not sure where you are getting 50% from. I don't think this has been studied enough to generate any specific percentage.
@4FordFamily may have put lions through copper, I can't remember for sure though.
I would not be comfortable quoting a percentage, but my recent lion handled CP quite well. It was a tiny little lionfish, I’m amazed she survived at all. She’s doubled in size in three months or less.

I have treated lions in copper but i have killed more than I’ve successfully treated in copper — in fairness this was before we knew about beneficial bacteria in a bottle, ammonia alert badge, Hanna copper checker, and copper power chelated copper and what range would work — I always used 2.5 PPM back then because the test kits were awful and it was recommended.

So IMO ammonia and very high copper could have been the catalyst, not necessarily the copper treatment itself. But if you can source CP I would recommend this course of action instead.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top