Can you tell me what I have?

Dalescarpentry

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
Rochester Pa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a piece of live rock at the fish store the other day It has green polyps on it that is why I wanted it. Well I just noticed that it also have what looks to me like a little black or dark purple round ball on it. Do you know what it might be? Thanks Dale
 
I took a picture of it but I can't figure out how to post a picture of it here. If you have a cell number I can text it to you. Sorry and thanks. Dale
 
I think I figured it out. I is about the size of a BB. Also can you tell me what the green polyps are so I can read up on them? Thanks Dale
001.jpg
[/IMG]
 
The ball is definitely bubble algae. But I'm pretty sure the polyps are just generic green palys. I pulled the pic into photoshop and cleaned it up a little, they are not majanos, at least I don't think so. Look up seafoam green palys. That should give you a place to start.
 
Green Implosion Palys & the little round ball is Bubble Algae. Remove the bubble algae quickly! But do so without popping it! Best way is via siphoning/scraping at the same time. Emerald Crabs are known to eat it also....sometimes :)
 
If your tank isn't completely out of whack so that algae are taking over, bubble algae can actually be pretty nice looking. (Nothing is nice looking if your tank is out of whack.)

-Matt
 
Yeah even aptasia have a certain degree of interestingness

I knew someone that kept a little 1 gallon with a single aptasia in it as the feature. Grew to about 2" long with a 1" disc and was very pretty (if not very colorful). Think there might have been a hermit crab in there too. :)

-Matt
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top