Candy Basslet: is it worth the price?

I've seen these guys come in very vibrant and for some reason fade a bit pretty quickly within a few months. My theory is they are deep water fish and not used to lighting we keep in our reef tanks. I had a swales swissguard basslet that was just as vibrant as any of these I've seen, but I've also seen some not so impressive. Since seeing a few examples of both, I'd never spend the money on one. But some people like telling others how much they spend on a fish.
I've had the exact opposite experience. My Candy that's been in my tank for about 4 years, purchased from a fellow reefer who'd had him for over a year, is huge and extremely vibrant. I just got a pair from Pacific Island Aquatics and they are quite pale in comparison. They are little guys. I am curious if they will "color up" as they grow.

I have a couple of basslets and while I love my pets they usually only come out at night or stick to the caves during the day. So if you're looking for a fish that swims around the front of the tank and puts on a good show the candy basslet is not that type of fish.

I think this really depends on personality. My first Candy pair, the larger of the two was always out, the smaller, not as much. My current single Candy is out a lot, totally worth it. My new pair, they are small guys, are also out quite a bit in my other reef. They will scoot into the rocks if worried but they pop back out immediately. I find Candy Basselets to be an awesome addition to my reefs. Worth the money for me, but I know the price tag is not for everyone.
 
I just watched a video on YouTube and saw this fish. I am new to this hobby and right away I said man I want one. A quick search brought up a $1,999.00 price tag! That's crazy!
 
I just watched a video on YouTube and saw this fish. I am new to this hobby and right away I said man I want one. A quick search brought up a $1,999.00 price tag! That's crazy!
Just realized the date of the OP

New to forums also [emoji5]
 
They're available pretty regularly on DD in the $600-700 range. A steal ....
 
I got mine for $600, in my opinion the most stunning fish I have seen. Under blue or white it is insane. I would just say make sure your tank is established, it is a very hardy fish but for the price make sure all parameters are good. Would recommend only having it in a smaller tank, they like to hide so in a large tank they can get lost.
 
They are extraordinary! I saw one in person for the first at my a friend on mine's place a couple days ago. Definitely a fish to invest in if you have the budget!!
 
I've seen these guys come in very vibrant and for some reason fade a bit pretty quickly within a few months. My theory is they are deep water fish and not used to lighting we keep in our reef tanks. I had a swales swissguard basslet that was just as vibrant as any of these I've seen, but I've also seen some not so impressive. Since seeing a few examples of both, I'd never spend the money on one. But some people like telling others how much they spend on a fish.
Not from what I’ve seen. Personally know two reefers who have had them for 2 and 4 years respectively here in SoCal, and they’re all extremely vibrant. Not to mention all the ones in the forum. I’d call this an inaccurate analysis.
 
Just got mine last week a stunning fish
 

Attachments

  • CBCFC18C-25B3-43A9-992E-861C64442DE3.jpeg
    CBCFC18C-25B3-43A9-992E-861C64442DE3.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 47FC6630-21CD-48D4-9902-90A6626644F8.jpeg
    47FC6630-21CD-48D4-9902-90A6626644F8.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 121
Where can I get a candy basslet from ? Any reputable site for an expensive fish like this ? He’s my next fish for my 15g
 
For a fish like a candy basslet, I wouldn't take any chances. TSM Aquatics or Marine Collectors, or if they can be had captive-bred (some basslets are), directly from the breeder.

Personally I'd have to be making about five times more than I currently am before I could justify a $700 fish, but of course make up your own mind there.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top