Canister filters - what’s your experience?

SteelRain

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2019
Messages
48
Reaction score
30
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a new 25g lagoon build. I’ve been thinking about skipping a skimmer and going with a fluval canister filter as my main mechanical and biological filtration method. Any tips? Thanks!
 
I’ve used them successfully before. I’m using a sump for my 75 now, but I’ve run a 16 gallon with the Fluval 107/207? for about a year with no problems. The nozzle also contributes a bit to your flow
 
Doing a new 25g lagoon build. I’ve been thinking about skipping a skimmer and going with a fluval canister filter as my main mechanical and biological filtration method. Any tips? Thanks!
If you can swing it I would do a sump. Way easier more control and way more fun. But if not a canister filter will work. In a reef the rocks are your biological filtration so a sump is mostly mechanical filtration. Like filter socks you will need to clean more than in a fresh water system.
 
1689405694621.png

I have been running a fluval canister on my 40g for almost 2 years and have had 0 issues out of it.
 
They suck for saltwater.
Garbage Porst!...they are awesome for smaller tanks...all you'll buffoons talking such trash either have never used one, or you used one from the 80s...get real dude!!
 
Last edited:
Very effective for a variety of intended purposes. But a pain in the rear to clean. For sumpless tanks I prefer a hang on filter for mechanical and the occasional running of carbon.
 
If you can swing it I would do a sump. Way easier more control and way more fun. But if not a canister filter will work. In a reef the rocks are your biological filtration so a sump is mostly mechanical filtration. Like filter socks you will need to clean more than in a fresh water system.
Totally incorrect....I probably clean my Cannister and renew filtration about once every 3 months, and even then, I'm amazed at how not super dirty it is. I run massive Cannister Filters on my 125 fresh, and even when lazy, let it go for 5 months, and tank still looks great. I'm certain some of you'll have had bad experiences or are just plain dumb....you'll always come out to hate on Cannister Filters within 1 poRst....get a grip folks
 
Totally incorrect....I probably clean my Cannister and renew filtration about once every 3 months, and even then, I'm amazed at how not super dirty it is. I run massive Cannister Filters on my 125 fresh, and even when lazy, let it go for 5 months, and tank still looks great. I'm certain some of you'll have had bad experiences or are just plain dumb....you'll always come out to hate on Cannister Filters within 1 poRst....get a grip folks
Great to hear, thanks. The community seems pretty split on this. With this build I was wanting to try something new - I’ve had trouble with chaeto in an aio in the past, would a canister manage all of the biological filtration?
 
I use a Fluval FX6. I recommend removing most of the mechanical and replacing with biological. I also use a Refugium alongside so as not to have to worry about nutrients.
I have had trouble getting chaeto to tumble properly in an aio refugium; is there a way to eliminate the need with a canister?
 
I have had trouble getting chaeto to tumble properly in an aio refugium; is there a way to eliminate the need with a canister?
Dude, just run a 4 basket Cannister and forget about Cheetos!

I have carbon, Chemi Pure, Roaphas, Poly FilterPads, Filter Floss, and biological media in a 4 chamber Cannister Filter...and it does the business...trust me. In smaller tanks...that's all you need.
 
I have had trouble getting chaeto to tumble properly in an aio refugium; is there a way to eliminate the need with a canister?

I’ve never tumbled. I have a good foot or two of Cheeto and it still does well without tumbling.
You can grow another macro like caulerpa, you can clean the canister regularly, or have a really good water change schedule.
 
Never personally ran a canister on a saltwater tank, but it's been done successfully. I used to predominately run canisters on freshwater setups years ago, but since going to salt, I prefer sumps. If I went back or startup another fresh tank, its gonna have a sump too. But if you go with a canister, I always recommend/choose Eheim fwiw.
 
They work but are a pain in the butt to service. I had a fluval 407 on a 55g that I just tore down. I'll never own another canister filter. Changing out the media is such a pain. The thing weighs 15lb-20lb filled with water. I have to stop the water flow, put down a towel because when I disconnect it there will inevitably be leakage. Then haul it to my sink or wherever I'm draining it and pull out the media tray and replace carbon and water polishing pads, put it all back together. It becomes a huge chore when sumps are SO much easier. For me, I'm using the old-school wet/dry sump. I just turn the pump off, then pop the top off the media chamber and change the carbon or fleece. So much easier.
 
They suck for saltwater.

Hogwash!!

When I had my 55g running, I had a canister on it. I have to say that that tank looked better than my 135 ever has. Never had issues with parameter swings or Nitrate buildup.

Canisters need to be cleaned more often than a sump, yes. You pull the canister offline, take the whole shebang to the sink and get to washing.. done and done.

Most sumps are at or near ground level (under the tank in the stand) Try to siphon THAT mess!!! Cleaning a sump is a serious labor in my experience... Yes they are sleeker, give more options for expansion, but in the end, what matters is does the job get done!!
 
One of my most successful marine nano tanks was run on a fluval 207. Never had to clean the glass. I would only clean out the canister filter when the flow started to slow or had a hard time starting up after feeding/maintenance. My nutrients were always in balance.
Why? My theory is the live rock in the tank acted as my aerobic filtration (ammonia, nitrites, phosphate) while the canister filter created, in time, an anaerobic environment to export nitrates while also providing mechanical filtration. I would use the included sponges and stuff the trays with the small ceramics and some of the mini bio-balls. When I would clean it out approximately 6-8 months, I would just rinse the media out in saltwater.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top