Can't seem to get dKH to stay @ 8??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Broadwave

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2013
Messages
110
Reaction score
91
Location
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, prior to converting to Triton, I was using a Kalk Reactor and was able to maintain my dKH a around 8.4 no problem. Since switching to Triton, I'm having a hard time keeping my dKH at 8.

I started off about 2 weeks ago at the recommended 2ml per 26 gallons (18ml total per solution) System total is about 225 gallons

I test every day with a Hanna Checker for dHK, Phosphate, Ca and also test using Salifert for Mg. Nitrate is tested using a LaMotte nitrate test kit. Since the Triton instruction are to increase dosing until a dKH of 8 is maintained, I'm now up to 3.2ml per 26 gallons (28.8 ml per solution) per day broken down into 24 doses split 1o min apart.

Although my dKH is dropping about .4 dKH per day even with the increased dosing, my Calcium currently @ 519 ppm and Mg over 1600 keep rising. I've been doing 20% water changes (n my 4th one) using basic tropic marin salt and still having issues keeping the dKH where it needs to be. Additionally, I've been maintaining my dKH with Seachem Reef Builder.

My concern is that if continuing to increase the Core 7 dose, Triton will certainly not be cost effective having to replace the solutions every 30 days or less. And no, there aren't any Triton refill stations anywhere near me here in northern Massachusetts to make it more cost effective.

Also, there isn't any crystallization on my dosing lines as some have been experiencing and I even waited for my GHL Doser to dose to see if the solution was precipitating when it was dispensed. Nothing.

Has anyone experienced this and if so how did they correct and get things back on track?
 
Honestly, you sound pretty much on par for a 200+ gallon tank. I estimated that going with Triton it would run about $80 a month and last just barely over 1 month.
 
I had a great email conversation with Joe C. Last night. He addressed all of my questions. Turns out, after readjusting how many time a day i should be dosing, bottle 1 wasn't dispensing any liquid. This could be the cause as I don't know which bottle of Triton Core 7 doses what.

Either way, I'll continue to test daily and adjust as needed.
 
Any updates on how you're doing now with the Triton?
 
I replaced the dosing lines with soft airline tubing rather than using the rigid RO water lines... makes a better seal, so there are no air gaps in the lines and doses are not missed. After doing that, my dKH is steady at 7.9. My corals are all growing nicely and the coloration is great! The only issue I have is that I'm having a hard time growing algae in my refugium... may need to restart that over again.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top