Cant seem to grow anything but SPS??

Mr. Roboto

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2011
Messages
449
Reaction score
422
Location
Where the great rivers meet
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms do not grow, they stay the size of dimes.

Leathers almost waste away to nothing.

LPS fades to oblivion.

The only thing that thrives are the sticks.

I know I shouldnt be running at zeros but my tank really cant help it. I have tried to shut off the skimmer, tried feeding more, I keep adding fish, currently at about 20 but nothing.

I have been looking for other alternatives. Whats out there? How can I get this tank to register something?
 
90% of ppl on this forum hate you right now. Just saying. :p;) I am in the 10% however, that LOVES all the "garbage" coral and I feel bad for you! You are on the right track, if your water is that clean, you won't have much success with anything else. :(
 
Prob need to see a list of SW test results. Calc. Alk. Mag. No3. Po4. Salinity. avg temp. Etc

From what I know....As far as mushrooms, many of then like shadows. They can adapt to direct light but are really shy about fully blooming under direct light.....think about it. They are like satellite dishes that can grab a ton of light all spread out. Too much light and they get shy and reduce their size
 
Prob need to see a list of SW test results. Calc. Alk. Mag. No3. Po4. Salinity. avg temp. Etc

From what I know....As far as mushrooms, many of then like shadows. They can adapt to direct light but are really shy about fully blooming under direct light.....think about it. They are like satellite dishes that can grab a ton of light all spread out. Too much light and they get shy and reduce their size

Salinity - 1.026
Temp - 78
Calc - 450
Mag - 1500
Alk - 8
NO3 - 0
Po4 - .02

300 ish total gallons, 250g display, 90g fuge/sump, 20g frag tank
14k 400w MH x2 with led blues, 1" sand bed, Aquaeuro 400 classic skimmer

I understand the shrooms but we are talking melting leathers and heads falling off of hammers and torches, sticks still fuzzy and colorful.

That pretty much covers it...... I think......
 
Just to be clear, this isnt a troll post. I do want to know what else helps. I have heard about some nitrate from plant food and all that but I really would like to know if dosing aminos would benefit or what.
 
I have low level nutrient also ! I still can't keep the sticks !

I am literally feeding twice a day HEAVILY to even keep colors from going pale. Everyone on the other side looks at me like I am bragging while I am over here P/O because my wifes zoas dont even want to grow.
 
People dose nitrate. I think it's stump remover. Not sure though. You need to research that. Another thing is if you have a fuge with a macro algae you can decrease the photo period of the fuge light. You also need to keep the algae trimmed. A softball sized cheato will absorb less thank a basketball sized cheato.
 
Spectracide is the stump remover mentioned in the last post. It is debatable whether or not it is good to use. I have, and still occasionally do use it. I think Michael's suggestions are a good start.
 
People dose nitrate. I think it's stump remover. Not sure though. You need to research that. Another thing is if you have a fuge with a macro algae you can decrease the photo period of the fuge light. You also need to keep the algae trimmed. A softball sized cheato will absorb less thank a basketball sized cheato.

Photo period on the fuge only runs for abut 8 hours. I keep the cheato trimmed back every week.

I am not fond of dosing stump remover in my tank but I am open to suggestions and research I guess.

Also, how much coral is there in the tank? Coral also sucks up nutrients.

Tank is just SPS, maybe 25 or so pieces.
 
I've got a small reef tank (13.5g). I've got 4 SPS in it and some zoas, couple of hammers. The SPS grow MUCH faster than anything. Granted, this is less than a 4 month old tank.
 
Id look at your light and flow... Nutrient they seem to handle low and high range so would rule that out generally. But I believe too much light and flow are the biggest reason why Softies and LPS croke!
 
Well, I do have a ton of flow and light. Its the darnedest thing though. I guess I am going to keep adding fish until my nitrates show something. I want to pick up a couple clusters of schooling fish anyway. Maybe that and going to an automatic feeder 4 times a day will work.
 
Two thoughts:

1) your lighting/flow may be too intense for anything other than SPS. what type of fixtures and powerheads do you have?

2) less likely, but is it possible you have pests or infections in the tank that only target LPS and softies? any signs of snails/crabs/fish/anything poking at them?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top