I would very much prefer to support LFS than online vendors that I can't have a face to face conversation with, I decided to go check out a few shops in local neighbourhood. There aren't that many options so I devoted an afternoon and took my wife and son with me to check them out.
I found one coral shop around 20 minutes drive away that was cool, they had a great selection of corals and frags. I left the store with a small haul of corals including a green tip torch, a hammer, a ricordia and a GSP.
Once I got home and had a thorough look at them all I realised they were riddled with pests, aptasia and red worms everywhere. I figured I could dip and get rid of most of it so went ahead and did that.
The GSP was beyond saving though, it had a whole bunch of aptasia riddled throughout it, I couldn't get them out reliably. I went and got some AptasiaX but decided it wasn't worth the risk and ditched the GSP.
I was a bit disappointed in the store's attitude tbh. When I went back to get the aptasia X the guys son was running the place and I told him the issues and he shrugged and said "eh aptasia and red worms are normal, just dip you'll be fine". I showed him the photo below of the GSP riddled with Aptasia and he laughed and said yeah fair enough you won't get rid of that but then he wouldn't give me a refund for it.
I won't be going back, it's disappointing as I liked the idea of going down every weekend with my son to let him choose some new corals. He's learned all about different types now and loves them.
Anyways, the other corals went into my DT after dipping and are all doing fine. I did find some aptasia on rocks recently so I guess I missed some.
GSP riddled with aptasia. there are more here not circled. This is what I showed the guy at the store and he started laughing.
some little hitchhikers I dipped off. I missed some unfortunately.
Corals from the LFS. I got rid of the GSP. I felt a bit bad about getting rid of a coral TBH as it's a living creature. Confusing.
Hammer and torch shortly after going in to the DT.