Caravan's 165 SPS dominant Reef in Austin

It’s actually smaller than the Alkatronic....or at least comparable in size. The Alkatronic wouldn’t fit in the space I put the Trident.

So far I’m loving it. It’s 10x quieter than the Alkatronic, seems to be more precise, and tests all 3 major levels. I don’t have to calibrate multiple pumps and a pH probe manually on a monthly basis either which is a big bonus. If I can snag another one for the frag tank I will
Definitely keep us updated. I've been strongly considering an Alkatronic but it's tough to stomach any noise in my living room.
 
Definitely keep us updated. I've been strongly considering an Alkatronic but it's tough to stomach any noise in my living room.
Depending on how quiet your reef is, you will likely hear either one. It’s either some random faint whirring r2d2 noises of the trident, or a full-on peristaltic pump for 15-mins for the Alkatronic.

I have a 4,200 sq ft house, and the tank is basically in one corner of the house...it’s hard to find a room I can’t hear the Alkatronic from....the trident I can only hear within 15ft or so of the tank. It also doesn’t help that I don’t have either of them enclosed at all, so within a stand may help muffle both.
 
Just finished reading the thread

What an amazing build!

Following along to learn and to enjoy the pics =)
For a quick answer, I did I think 3 different 3-day blackouts and ran the UV filter for about 6-weeks.

No more sign of them, just some green algae I can’t seem to kick.

Have u tried Vibrant for green algae?
I had success with it.
Ymmv

And what is ur thought on algae scrubber?
I was planning to have one in my next build
Thx in adv
 
The algae slowly went away and the tank is pretty clean now. Nutrients detectable and parameters stable!

Never used an algae scrubber, have always liked a basic fuge for its simplicity and it being great for pods.
 
hmm, been running the Trident since May 11th, and already ran through my first set of reagents by Jun 24th. I did 2 days of 8 tests per day, since then only 4 tests per day. That's ~45 days worth, not 60.
 
hmm, been running the Trident since May 11th, and already ran through my first set of reagents by Jun 24th. I did 2 days of 8 tests per day, since then only 4 tests per day. That's ~45 days worth, not 60.
How do you like it? It's really too bad you can't scale the Ca and Mg tests back.
 
hmm, been running the Trident since May 11th, and already ran through my first set of reagents by Jun 24th. I did 2 days of 8 tests per day, since then only 4 tests per day. That's ~45 days worth, not 60.

I saw that happening, it seems like they where generous on how long the reagents would last. Need to figure out the recipe and boot leg it.
 
How do you like it? It's really too bad you can't scale the Ca and Mg tests back.

So far I really like it. I'm a bit frustrated with the reagent usage though. It told me Reagent A was 'Empty' and it still had 92ml out of 300ml, so I easily could have gone another 10 days on that bottle. Now here I am 45 days in and my reagent B and C are "empty" where my Reagent A may even have half left. I would love to up the tests to 6 times a day, doing alk 6 times and the other 2 only twice. I have the reagent to do this, but the system won't allow it.

I saw that happening, it seems like they where generous on how long the reagents would last. Need to figure out the recipe and boot leg it.

They did state that it only comes with 1 month of reagent, so getting 45 days out of that is more than it states. I think the real test will be the second set, that is supposed to be 60 days worth. I wanted to document when I changed it out, which was noon on Monday June 24th. We'll see how many days I get out of it.
 
So far I really like it. I'm a bit frustrated with the reagent usage though. It told me Reagent A was 'Empty' and it still had 92ml out of 300ml, so I easily could have gone another 10 days on that bottle. Now here I am 45 days in and my reagent B and C are "empty" where my Reagent A may even have half left. I would love to up the tests to 6 times a day, doing alk 6 times and the other 2 only twice. I have the reagent to do this, but the system won't allow it.



They did state that it only comes with 1 month of reagent, so getting 45 days out of that is more than it states. I think the real test will be the second set, that is supposed to be 60 days worth. I wanted to document when I changed it out, which was noon on Monday June 24th. We'll see how many days I get out of it.

My bad I assumed you where using the 60 day. Still let’s get some chemists on that boot leg reagent. Whomever comes up with a reliable mix will make a killing
 
My bad I assumed you where using the 60 day. Still let’s get some chemists on that boot leg reagent. Whomever comes up with a reliable mix will make a killing

It’s the same amount that comes in the 2 month kit, they just say 1 month for what’s included due to setup usage.
 
 
giphy.gif
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top