Carbon dosing - only half of the week?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ky_acc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Ky_acc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2019
Messages
287
Reaction score
126
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am interested in carbon dosing but hesitant to start as I travel for work M-Th (when not in quarantine)

I don’t have enough space to put a carbon dosing product on a separate dosing pump but I have been reading about the benefits of carbon dosing and was wondering if there would be Negative side effects from dosing only Th, F, Sa, Sun and then not at all M-W while I’m out of town.

I don’t want to create an Imbalance dosing in this manner so just wanted to get some thoughts.

I have been looking into Tropic Marin NP Bacto balance as my phosphate hovers around .05

@Lou Ekus @Hans-Werner any thoughts from you guys as I know you have the best insight into this product.


Thanks!
 
I do not think it is a problem to take a few days off. Is it perfect? No. Neither is risking a problem when you are away.

What are your reasons for dosing it? Phosphate at 0.05 ppm doesn't look to be a reason to me. it is fine.

If nitrate is high, that could be a reason, or just to generate food for filter feeders.

But you should ensure you do not drive nitrate or phosphate too low.
 
I do not think it is a problem to take a few days off. Is it perfect? No. Neither is risking a problem when you are away.

What are your reasons for dosing it? Phosphate at 0.05 ppm doesn't look to be a reason to me. it is fine.

If nitrate is high, that could be a reason, or just to generate food for filter feeders.

But you should ensure you do not drive nitrate or phosphate too low.

Thanks for the reply!

I have been looking into carbon dosing as I have been hearing more about the benefits -- primarily making phosphate uptake easier/more available for the corals.

also I think that carbon dosing could help bring my nitrates down a bit to be more in line with my phosphates.

My nitrate hovers around 5-10, while my phosphate sits around .05
 
Thanks for the reply!

I have been looking into carbon dosing as I have been hearing more about the benefits -- primarily making phosphate uptake easier/more available for the corals.

also I think that carbon dosing could help bring my nitrates down a bit to be more in line with my phosphates.

My nitrate hovers around 5-10, while my phosphate sits around .05

I'd just be careful as those numbers look close to perfect to me and you might end up worse off. :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top