Carbon - to run or not to run...?

Algae needs ALL of the following: a source of N (ammonia or nitrate, for example), a source of P (typically inorganic phosphate), a variety of trace elements such as iron, light, freedom from excessive herbivores, and a place to grow.

Take ANY ONE of those away and algae won't be a problem.[/QUOTE
Since corals are algae (zoox)--- would the same thinking apply for coral growth? That is if you limit N or P growth will slow.
Would it apply to bacteria growth? That is even if we add Carbon via vinegar or similar, if we have no N or P they cant grow either?
Thanks Randy
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes get an oily film on the surface of the water. I understand this to be an indication of high dissolved organics in the water? That's what carbon is supposed to help take out? Should I up the amount of carbon I use, and/or change it more often?

I just switched to BRS ROX and am using the recommended 1 tbsp per 10 gallons, but still have the film.
 
Since corals are algae (zoox)--- would the same thinking apply for coral growth? That is if you limit N or P growth will slow.
Would it apply to bacteria growth? That is even if we add Carbon via vinegar or similar, if we have no N or P they cant grow either?
Thanks Randy


Yes, it applies to corals as well, although they can get these things in foods they consume and not just in nutrients. In the ocean, it appears that many corals can thrive under conditions where nutrients are low enough to limit algae.
 
I sometimes get an oily film on the surface of the water. I understand this to be an indication of high dissolved organics in the water? That's what carbon is supposed to help take out? Should I up the amount of carbon I use, and/or change it more often?

I just switched to BRS ROX and am using the recommended 1 tbsp per 10 gallons, but still have the film.

It is also an indication of inadequate surface motions/surface skimming. Just removing organics from the bulk water may not eliminate it.
 
I sometimes get an oily film on the surface of the water. I understand this to be an indication of high dissolved organics in the water? That's what carbon is supposed to help take out? Should I up the amount of carbon I use, and/or change it more often?

I just switched to BRS ROX and am using the recommended 1 tbsp per 10 gallons, but still have the film.
You could break up your oil skim :rolleyes: by agitating the water surface with re-circulation pumps :)
 
Yes, it applies to corals as well, although they can get these things in foods they consume and not just in nutrients. In the ocean, it appears that many corals can thrive under conditions where nutrients are low enough to limit algae.
Randy is it possible the reason corals can thrive in low nutrient environment in the ocean is because------they feed on live food, typically evening zooplankton and can get enough to satisfy growth. Since nothing is dead its not decomposing so no rise in nutrients.
 
Randy is it possible the reason corals can thrive in low nutrient environment in the ocean is because------they feed on live food, typically evening zooplankton and can get enough to satisfy growth.

Yes, I expect that is the case: many eat solid foods. :)
 
Randy is it possible the reason corals can thrive in low nutrient environment in the ocean is because------they feed on live food, typically evening zooplankton and can get enough to satisfy growth. Since nothing is dead its not decomposing so no rise in nutrients.

My feeling is that the most successful aquariums either have Nitrates 10-20ppm or a very successful feeding program or a combination of both. In NSW corals have much more solid food available to them IMHO so we have to make up for this with high intensity lighting with Nitrates and occasionally feeding coral foods. A system with a very large cryptic sump/fuge may be able to produce enough food but it would have to be larger than the display I think and have lots of rock, pods and even algae.
 
I run 1/2 amount of ROX and change it more often. This gives me ultra clear water while not over or under doing it. I change it about every two weeks or when it becomes clogged. Clogging is the biggest problem with ROX, I use a dual reactor with the first chamber being Filter floss to remove large particles before they are trapped by the carbon. This has work extremely well for me.
 
I run 1/2 amount of ROX and change it more often. This gives me ultra clear water while not over or under doing it. I change it about every two weeks or when it becomes clogged. Clogging is the biggest problem with ROX, I use a dual reactor with the first chamber being Filter floss to remove large particles before they are trapped by the carbon. This has work extremely well for me.
+1
That ROX is some aggressive GAC but Imo opinion it polishes water better than Purigen.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top