Catching peppermint shrimp to move to another tank

BirdFish5000

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2021
Messages
787
Reaction score
1,005
Location
ROCHESTER
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to move one or two peppermint shrimp from my 55 to my 29 to help with an aiptasia problem. Suggestions on how to catch one, please?
 
Do they clean your hands? if they do, let them clean a hand while slowly lifting the hand out of tank and net them that way or use a fish bag with some food in it.
 
They are also voracious nighttime eaters, so if you put a bit of frozen food in a net after lights out and check on it a few times with a red light you should be able to net them out
 
Clear plastic water bottle bottom.
Fishing line.
Piece of shrimp tied to a small rock.
He’ll find that shrimp fast.
When he does, lift up the water bottle quickly.
 
Wanted to give an update here - I was very easily able to catch one by holding a cube of frozen food in my hand, and waiting. After a minute or two, one of the bigger shrimp came over, and began eating. I simply lifted my hand out of the tank and moved him to the other tank. The whole time he just kept eating, lol
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top