Causes of coral death

  • Thread starter Thread starter aziz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

aziz

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Location
الدنمارك
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my corals are not growing well and their colors are not good. After a few weeks, the coral dies. What is the reason?
 
.Hello everyone, my lighting is Red Sea LED90 and I use Tropic Marin Pro-Reef Sea salt and the water current is good but the alkaline, calcium and magnesium levels are higher than the recommended limit.

But I only test chemistry for alkali, calcium, magnesium, nitrate and phosphate. Is there anything else I can test?
 
Sorry but to help you we need to know all the info about the tank to help you..... Can you advise all the water parameters, lighting intensity and duration, type of flow, tank inhabitants, really need pictures too, of the tank and of the corals. Give as much information as possible.
 
Hello, my corals are not growing well and their colors are not good. After a few weeks, the coral dies. What is the reason?
My grandfather used to say when asked a very vague question, "want the whole list, or the top 10?".

Please, list;

Tank
Parameters
Lights
Par or settings
Filtration
Maintenance schedule
Stocking, ie: fish, inverts, ect
Problems your seeing

Pics, we love pics. White light only as we cannot see with blue lights on this forum.

Thanks and welcome to R2R!

alkaline, calcium and magnesium levels are higher than the recommended limit.

BTW, this may look like a smoking gun or maybe not.
 
Hello everyone I would like to thank you all for your help

I tested the water today alkalinity 10.5
calcium 470
magnesium 350
9b49d965-d683-4555-bbed-4c2f7096d9e3.jpeg
4cc4a816-b957-464b-b29d-1907cd59d324.jpeg
7894e20a-606d-4fef-af44-de6a173b92c4.jpeg
f43f38f9-e112-4f2b-aa80-7f1ca8737883.jpeg
c3dc503a-a99f-48a9-bd9f-fa598a8bd548.jpeg
8fa2d696-6594-4834-9e64-2bc72fbd8b47.jpeg
7e2e4d79-1dde-4005-b0e2-5fe0fd4c4de7.jpeg
75b97cdb-ed1b-4292-a8e6-de13130e5237.jpeg
75b97cdb-ed1b-4292-a8e6-de13130e5237.jpeg
769b7b60-2775-490f-91dc-9c40a96a06f6.jpeg

nitrate 0.05
phosphate 0.03 and my lights are on from 11:00 and off at 22:00

I maintain the aquarium every week by cleaning the filter and changing the water 10%100. I use Tropic Marin Pro-Reef Sea salt.

I only use chemistry to reduce the percentage of nitrates and phosphates, and I do not use anything else.
 
Hello everyone I would like to thank you all for your help

I tested the water today alkalinity 10.5
calcium 470
magnesium 350
9b49d965-d683-4555-bbed-4c2f7096d9e3.jpeg
4cc4a816-b957-464b-b29d-1907cd59d324.jpeg
7894e20a-606d-4fef-af44-de6a173b92c4.jpeg
f43f38f9-e112-4f2b-aa80-7f1ca8737883.jpeg
c3dc503a-a99f-48a9-bd9f-fa598a8bd548.jpeg
8fa2d696-6594-4834-9e64-2bc72fbd8b47.jpeg
7e2e4d79-1dde-4005-b0e2-5fe0fd4c4de7.jpeg
75b97cdb-ed1b-4292-a8e6-de13130e5237.jpeg
75b97cdb-ed1b-4292-a8e6-de13130e5237.jpeg
769b7b60-2775-490f-91dc-9c40a96a06f6.jpeg

nitrate 0.05
phosphate 0.03 and my lights are on from 11:00 and off at 22:00

I maintain the aquarium every week by cleaning the filter and changing the water 10%100. I use Tropic Marin Pro-Reef Sea salt.

I only use chemistry to reduce the percentage of nitrates and phosphates, and I do not use anything else.
I consider that high alk and with low nutrients is a bad combo.

But, this looks like a new tank so forget that for now.

By the looks of the water surface, you need more flow. Looks like you have 1 wave maker and the return. Is the wavemaker adjustable? Can you turn it up?

Do you know the par from the lights? What light is it?
 
I'm sorry I didn't understand what you mean I should turn it on
 
0 nitrate is a problem. Raise the nitrate and make sure phosphate doesn't hit 0.02ppm or lower.
 
My lights are working at 50% blue 20% white is this ok or should I increase the light percentage
 
c3dc503a-a99f-48a9-bd9f-fa598a8bd548.jpeg
9b49d965-d683-4555-bbed-4c2f7096d9e3.jpeg
4cc4a816-b957-464b-b29d-1907cd59d324.jpeg
f43f38f9-e112-4f2b-aa80-7f1ca8737883.jpeg
8fa2d696-6594-4834-9e64-2bc72fbd8b47.jpeg
7e2e4d79-1dde-4005-b0e2-5fe0fd4c4de7.jpeg
IMG_0561.png
Sorry but to help you we need to know all the info about the tank to help you..... Can you advise all the water parameters, lighting intensity and duration, type of flow, tank inhabitants, really need pictures too, of the tank and of the corals. Give as much information as possible.
Hello everyone I would like to thank you all for your help

I tested the water today alkalinity 10.5
calcium 470
magnesium 350
nitrate 0.05
phosphate 0.03 and my lights are on from 11:00 and off at 22:00

I maintain the aquarium every week by cleaning the filter and changing the water 10%100. I use Tropic Marin Pro-Reef Sea salt.

I only use chemistry to reduce the percentage of nitrates and phosphates, and I do not use anything else.
 
Is mag 350 or 1350? cause I don't think I've ever seen mag that low. Nirates and phosphates is nutrients for the coral, try to get nitrate to 5-15 ppm but i think phos is fine.
 
I'm sorry I didn't understand what you mean I should turn it on
Some of your corals appear to be stretching towards the light, so turn up the intensity of the light, 50% is too low. But do it slowly, maybe 5%-10% per week for a few weeks.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top