Chasing The Dragon of Reef Tank Expectations

stacksoner

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
810
Reaction score
1,165
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember watching a BRS video years ago where Ryan said, "Your reef tank is going to be the coolest thing in your house". Of all the things that my tank is, it definitely isn't an awe-inspiring exhibition of beauty that my wifey and houseguests gaze in wonder at.

I had a full system crash in year 3, and honestly feel like showcasing a barren, problem-riddled "work-in-progress" tank is as embarrassing as a beautiful, thriving tank is respectable.

Has anyone added natural looking artificial stony corals to their DT to make it more aesthetically balanced and pleasant to look at? If so, how did it work out for you? Please feel free to share your thoughts/experiences/advice.
 
Those just turn into a place for algae to grow and thrive. While it may look good for a week or two it will not be the case much longer after that. Consider this, however often you have to clean off the glass is likely how often you will have to remove and clean the artificials. If that is in your wheelhouse, go for it.
 
Personally I get visibly upset whenever I see these - I'd rather see real coral or nothing at all but I'm a bit of a coral junkie.

There is nothing wrong with a work in progress as long as you are making improvements!
 
I have two big fake plate corals in my tank. They work great for providing shade to my LPS corals. I think they are an excellent idea particularly for harder to keep corals because that way you can enjoy having something pretty without the guilt of it dying if you don't have everything perfect. Also realistically most people who come over won't be able to tell that they are fake.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top