Check out my first leopard wrasse

Huh, I see it as both depending where I look... I’d love an explanation if you have one? :)
Anywhere it's listed as a Macropharyngodon is technically incorrect.

When Jack Randall described the species, he was initially thinking it was a Macropharyngodon as well. However, one of the key characteristics of that genus is the presence of pharyngeal teeth - which are in the throat. None of his lapillus specimens had them, so into Halichoeres it went. The official description paper has it as Halichoeres lapillus. It's still believed that it is an ancestral species to the Macropharyngodon genus.
 
Interesting...the more you know :) Thank you!
 
Here’s one of mine. Anyone know what it is?

F2612EB4-F8AE-488F-A508-97029B84FD45.jpeg
He is an awesome looking fish! In all my years of fish perusing I have never seen one of those! Super cool!
 
He is an awesome looking fish! In all my years of fish perusing I have never seen one of those! Super cool!

It was on DD about 5 years ago. Viviens also on the same day and I should have bought both. Haven't seen either for sale again anywhere.
 
Oh man, that means I overpaid for it ….. %&*$#%
Eh, availability (lack of) drives the price on these still. Market value on this side of the globe (retail) is around the $250 USD mark.
Viviens also on the same day
There's been a small trickle of them here in the state on a few occasions, but none through DD channels.
 
Eh, availability (lack of) drives the price on these still. Market value on this side of the globe (retail) is around the $250 USD mark.

It was meant as a joke ….
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top