Chemical composition of dinoflagellates?

k log(omega)

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2023
Messages
110
Reaction score
59
Location
Plymouth, Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever take a large sample of dinos and do ICP/HPLC/etc. on them to figure out what concentrations of chemicals are in them? I think an ICP would be particularly interesting to see if there's any trace elements that they thrive from. Maybe both aqua regia and HF sample digestion (the latter to look for silicon) ?
 
Anyone ever take a large sample of dinos and do ICP/HPLC/etc. on them to figure out what concentrations of chemicals are in them? I think an ICP would be particularly interesting to see if there's any trace elements that they thrive from. Maybe both aqua regia and HF sample digestion (the latter to look for silicon) ?
Interesting idea and I bet no one has tried it. One reason is that whole organism analysis with the analytical methods you mention would likely give uninterpretable data.
 
Interesting idea and I bet no one has tried it. One reason is that whole organism analysis with the analytical methods you mention would likely give uninterpretable data.
I feel like ICP-OES would be pretty easy though for inorganics. I’m a chemical engineer, not a chemist, and i specialize in inorganic particles (like catalysts, battery materials, etc) so maybe i’m missing something because my organic/bio chemistry isn’t top notch but i do know a couple chemists who worked in testing labs for cannabis and i know they run tests like ICP and HPLC on plants to determine trace metals, cannabinoids, etc. so i figured it might work on phytoplankton and algae as well. maybe an extraction step would be needed, this is probably where it would get tricky, but a full digestion for ICP is worth a shot imo
 
I feel like ICP-OES would be pretty easy though for inorganics. I’m a chemical engineer, not a chemist, and i specialize in inorganic particles (like catalysts, battery materials, etc) so maybe i’m missing something because my organic/bio chemistry isn’t top notch but i do know a couple chemists who worked in testing labs for cannabis and i know they run tests like ICP and HPLC on plants to determine trace metals, cannabinoids, etc. so i figured it might work on phytoplankton and algae as well. maybe an extraction step would be needed, this is probably where it would get tricky, but a full digestion for ICP is worth a shot imo
I follow the thought process. If you could get a trace element profile for an algae, how could we use that information?
 
I follow the thought process. If you could get a trace element profile for an algae, how could we use that information?
I think if we see high amounts of a certain element in say dinos relative to other algae we could do some trial and error to figure out if it needs this element to thrive. for example i’ve seen lots of people say dinos like iron to support the theory of “no water changes when fighting dino” since you want them to be iron limited. you could then develop some filtration to strip Fe from the water and allow other organisms to re establish themselves while dino destabilizes. Obviously everything needs these elements so you wouldn’t wanna take it all out, but just temporarily create a limiting environment for the nuisance algae.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top