Chocolate Tang in QT on its side

  • Thread starter Thread starter AKReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

AKReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2017
Messages
245
Reaction score
335
What state or country do you live in
Alaska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chocolate tang in QT since 5/7. He was with a Naso that shortly passed away from suspected bacterial infection. Chocolate seemed to be doing fine so I started Cupramine treatment on 5/13 with half dose and doses remaining to full strength on 5/14. Today he’s on his side breathing very heavily. I tested copper with Seachem test and looks good. Hard to tell though with the color chart.

What should I do? Should I remove copper?
 
Also forgot that I ran Kanaplex after the Naso died until. Did a water change right before I added copper.
 
Copper from zero to full strength in two days?

Normally wouldn't bring it up that quickly unless you suspect - or are certain of - velvet.

At this point, backing off on the copper - or even moving the fish to a copper-free QT ... or even a copper-free bucket ... might be a good idea.

~Bruce
 
Copper from zero to full strength in two days?

Normally wouldn't bring it up that quickly unless you suspect - or are certain of - velvet.

At this point, backing off on the copper - or even moving the fish to a copper-free QT ... or even a copper-free bucket ... might be a good idea.

~Bruce

I was just following the instructions on the bottle. Says do it over 2 days, maybe too fast.

I did move him to a copper free bucket, but I’m afraid it’s too late. Not looking too good.
 
+1 for that airstone.

This is a hobby that's all about learning. Fortunately, you've found one of the best places in the known universe to do just exactly that.

~Bruce
 
The copper could have been brought up too quickly, but what about the ammonia? Do you have an ammonia alert badge?
 
Ammonia badge looks good. I put an air stone in the bucket. Did a water change and added carbon filters to remove copper. He’s back in QT and look slightly better. Still pretty iffy if he’s going to make it.
 
Unfortunately, it passed sometime while I was at work today. I’m not having good luck with my QT so far. I’m 0/2 on new fish :(
 
Unfortunately, it passed sometime while I was at work today. I’m not having good luck with my QT so far. I’m 0/2 on new fish :(
Sorry to hear of your losses. Don't let it get you down. You are doing it the proper way IMO. Where are you getting fish from?
 
Sorry to hear of your losses. Don't let it get you down. You are doing it the proper way IMO. Where are you getting fish from?

Getting from LFS. I expected the Naso to not make it when I got him, but I figured I would at least try to nurse it back to health. The chocolate was very disappointing as he looked very Health and active when I picked him up. I feel like I must have done something wrong there.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top