Chronic Skin Damage...caused by coral contact??

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoshO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2020
Messages
1,743
Reaction score
8,675
Location
North East England
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE HELP
I've trawled the internet for answers to this but so far I've come up with nothing!
I've been having extremely dry skin on the ends of 2 fingers of my right hand for almost 2 years now. The initial issue occured after I'd been dragging a bunch of SPS in my old tank, I thought it was just down to the superglue at first, but now I'm convinced it's coral toxicity.
I recently added a few new Acropora to my new tank and, lo and behold, I've ended up with IDENTICAL issues on my thumbs!
It starts as a small sore patch, followed by what looks like little pin marks under the surface of the skin. The the affected area seems to go much paler under the top layer of skin, before the whole area dries out and cracks, something that never heals despite constant moisturising!
I've attached images below, please note that the 2 fingers have had moisturiser on pretty much all day, so that's as good as they get...a few hours without and it's back to cracked skin!
PXL_20230926_213303695.jpg
PXL_20230926_213237989.jpg
PXL_20230926_213322881.jpg
 
:cool: Go to a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Sorry, but this board argues about how to Treat fish and you are more valuable than a fish.

Water Pump Drake GIF by Sheds Direct Ireland
I am not a doctor and I am not giving you any medical advice in this post, just encouraging you to get some. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:


Edit: You may be having an allergic reaction to Coral or something else in the water that can invade your body when you come into contact with coral that causes the bodies external layers to be breached and eroded.
Guys at a wholesaler I knew spoke of “fish pox” as an ailment that came from constant contact with aquarium water.

I use long gloves now because I have noticed additional sensitivity in my hands from unexplainable injury(s) when working around/inside my reef tanks.
 
Last edited:
salt water
Wash off really well after putting hands in tank or touching anything with salt water on it.

When I did tank maintenance full time my arms were covered in eczema and my fingers were constantly peeling.
 
salt water
Wash off really well after putting hands in tank or touching anything with salt water on it.

When I did tank maintenance full time my arms were covered in eczema and my fingers were constantly peeling.
I also have extensive sensitivity to salt water and have a myriad of skin issues, which I've had off and on my whole life.
It limits my hand time within the tank, which is a good thing.
If I have to go dunking now I have a bucket of fresh water next to the tank I rinse in and it helps a lot.
I also use disposable nylon kitchen gloves a lot. Seems to be getting worse with age.
 
I have severe atopic dermatitis and whenever I brush up against torches or my bubble tip, my fingers swells up or bubbles up. It takes a few days for my skin to stop blistering.
 
Thanks for all your suggestions. The only thing I seem to have come up with online is dermatitis or dyshidrotic eczema.
The crazy thing is there's a chance it will be there for life now.
Drs have dismissed it as just dry skin, but with the level of moisturising it gets there's just absolutely no way. A dermatologist is definitely the next step!
 
I dip my arms into RO water if they go into a tank. Just rinsing them off in clean fresh water makes a huge difference.
 
PLEASE HELP
I've trawled the internet for answers to this but so far I've come up with nothing!
I've been having extremely dry skin on the ends of 2 fingers of my right hand for almost 2 years now. The initial issue occured after I'd been dragging a bunch of SPS in my old tank, I thought it was just down to the superglue at first, but now I'm convinced it's coral toxicity.
I recently added a few new Acropora to my new tank and, lo and behold, I've ended up with IDENTICAL issues on my thumbs!
It starts as a small sore patch, followed by what looks like little pin marks under the surface of the skin. The the affected area seems to go much paler under the top layer of skin, before the whole area dries out and cracks, something that never heals despite constant moisturising!
I've attached images below, please note that the 2 fingers have had moisturiser on pretty much all day, so that's as good as they get...a few hours without and it's back to cracked skin!
PXL_20230926_213303695.jpg
PXL_20230926_213237989.jpg
PXL_20230926_213322881.jpg
Hey! I’m in the US and I have the same issue! Have you found out any solution?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top