City water to well water

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ross
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Ross

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2013
Messages
285
Reaction score
227
Location
Lubbock Tx
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved and my new home has its own well. I have my RO plumbed in after a water softener (pipes are copper if that matters). My tds is still coming out at 0, tds out of the faucet is 750.

Since the move, I have lost my crocea clam I’ve had for 6 years and some sps aren’t looking good, others don’t seem to be affected. The only thing different is the source of the water. Any thoughts?
 
I'm also on well water and it's fine but my tds is only 120 coming in. Only thing we'll water really change goes is di. You will go through di crazy fast because of co2 in well water.
 
I have 40 year old copper pipes in my house and I keep SPS just fine. I'd say it was the move and not the water. With 750 TDS at your faucet you'll be changing a lot of prefilters and DI resin.
 
Water Softener is like a chemical magnet. Depending on what’s in your water it doesn’t necessarily make it cleaner, just softer. Usually with well water a partial filter goes after softener, but when dirty enough a large micron before, and smaller micron to do final polish after may be wise.
Would also make sure that whatever device you have that regularly/periodically backwashes the softener is working properly.
Wouldn’t hurt to have a sample of water after Softener tested

D16FA59C-B1C9-43A0-8498-D95FF4985E18.jpeg
 
Assuming you are really getting 0 ppm TDS water after the RO/DI, and assuming the well water is actually potable based on testing (e.g., is not containing 30 ppm copper or lead) then I think it unlikely the issue is the water and might actually be from the move somehow.
 
Thank you for the replies. Here is a picture of my system. Water comes in on the right, goes through a micron filter, through the softener, then my RO is tapped in on the return to the house. Does this look correct?

FDFAB535-D619-486C-A1CD-867900F8E27A.jpeg
 
If you're getting 0 TDS after DI I don't think the water is the issue either. However since you just moved do you have the water certification papers that show the well is safe to drink from? That may shed some light on what's in the well...
 
If you're getting 0 TDS after DI I don't think the water is the issue either. However since you just moved do you have the water certification papers that show the well is safe to drink from? That may shed some light on what's in the well...

I didn’t have the well tested or inspected, but I have been drinking from it for several weeks and I’m fine .
 
The micron filter is supposed to go after softener. If the water is very dirty than before and after is probably a good idea, but if you only have on, it goes after
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top