Clam ID Por Favor

Mflores888

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 9, 2020
Messages
405
Reaction score
638
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently talking to another reefer about a clam they are selling, unfortunately they don't remember the species of clam and they only keep sending pics of it under blue light.

Can anyone make out what type it is from the pictures? I already have two Maxima Clams and I don't want a third but instead want something different, any help would be appreciated before I pull the trigger on it.

20220103_204800.jpg 20220103_204810.jpg 20220103_204827.jpg 20220103_204839.jpg
 
White lighting would help but from what I can see looks like a maxima. Possibly a teardrop maxima.
 
This is as white as they would send me
 

Attachments

  • 20220103_210826.jpg
    20220103_210826.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 81
White lighting would help but from what I can see looks like a maxima. Possibly a teardrop maxima.
I uploaded the most white light picture they sent me.

Aren't teardrops supposed to be more rare or less common? I don't think I've seen on in stores, only online sales
 
Tough to say for sure but thinking either a maxima or crocea.
 
Tough to say for sure but thinking either a maxima or crocea.
Maybe I'll take the gamble, I am interested in the small bumps it looks to have on the mantle and for $100 it's not a bad gamble
 
Maybe I'll take the gamble, I am interested in the small bumps it looks to have on the mantle and for $100 it's not a bad gamble
Yeah if you like it and the pattern/colors are different then what you have now then go for it.
 
Yeah if you like it and the pattern/colors are different then what you have now then go for it.
I picked it up, looks bleached in some parts but I can see some really nice potential. Hopefully it will recover
 
Yeah if you like it and the pattern/colors are different then what you have now then go for it.
I picked it up, looks bleached in some parts but I can see some really nice potential. Hopefully it will recover
 
New pics of the clam in my tank, it has some damage but with time it will recover
 

Attachments

  • 20220104_120645.jpg
    20220104_120645.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220104_120637.jpg
    20220104_120637.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220104_120615.jpg
    20220104_120615.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220104_120537.jpg
    20220104_120537.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 57
Nice, looks to be T. maxima. Also looks like a possible vermitid snail on the left side, as I see the slim net casting across the mantle. This could bother the clam as well. I would just remove it and be done with it. Also, maximas really appreciate being on rocks, so find a suitable place in the rock work and push it closer to the light.
 
Nice, looks to be T. maxima. Also looks like a possible vermitid snail on the left side, as I see the slim net casting across the mantle. This could bother the clam as well. I would just remove it and be done with it. Also, maximas really appreciate being on rocks, so find a suitable place in the rock work and push it closer to the light.
I already closed it up with some glue, hopefully if it pops up again the bumble bee snails will snack on em. It looks to be a bit bleached around the mantle so I'm going to wait for it to get comfortable and then move it to a new spot. I also need to carve out another rock for a nice little nest for the clam
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top