Cleaning dry rock... middle of winter

  • Thread starter Thread starter Be102
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
1,059
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered some 50 lbs or so base rock off of amazon and I want to wash it / get as much dust off.. only problem is I can’t power wash it as it’s 10* outside!

I heard buckets / power head can work but won’t be as effective...

I can soak it if that helps but prob won’t

Any ideas? I would just clean it in my bath tub or something but it has little pieces breaking off I don’t want to go down the drain.. need help / ideas!
 
I’ve used the shower in winter. It’s especially effective if you have a massage head that you can bring down low.

An understanding wife is of course a requirement for this method...
 
I’ve used the shower in winter. It’s especially effective if you have a massage head that you can bring down low.

An understanding wife is of course a requirement for this method...
Kitchen sink when no one is home might be the answer :p
 
Any carwashes still open in your area? The ones around me are closed, but after asking and explaining what I wanted to do, they opened one up.
 
Any carwashes still open in your area? The ones around me are closed, but after asking and explaining what I wanted to do, they opened one up.
I could always bring it down to one of the diy spray booths. lol might need to avoid getting the soaps and whatnot on them!
 
I could always bring it down to one of the diy spray booths. lol might need to avoid getting the soaps and whatnot on them!
I just ran the nozzle on water for a few to clean them out. And I didn't leave the rocks on the ground, carwashes are filthy.
 
So I ordered some 50 lbs or so base rock off of amazon and I want to wash it / get as much dust off.. only problem is I can’t power wash it as it’s 10* outside!

I heard buckets / power head can work but won’t be as effective...

I can soak it if that helps but prob won’t

Any ideas? I would just clean it in my bath tub or something but it has little pieces breaking off I don’t want to go down the drain.. need help / ideas!
Don't think you need to power wash to get rid of dust/dirt created during manufacturing. Rinsing in sink, tub or swirling in a bucket should be sufficient IMHO.
 
So I ordered some 50 lbs or so base rock off of amazon and I want to wash it / get as much dust off.. only problem is I can’t power wash it as it’s 10* outside!

I heard buckets / power head can work but won’t be as effective...

I can soak it if that helps but prob won’t

Any ideas? I would just clean it in my bath tub or something but it has little pieces breaking off I don’t want to go down the drain.. need help / ideas!

You can get adapters for your sink taps and rig up a hose for warm water. They are real cheap
 
All great ideas thanks everyone...

next question is regarding breaking the rock... should I use like a mallet with a towel over it whilst wet? Help from shattering?

any ideal tools to say carve out holes in the rock? lol Home Depot didn’t have any ice pics or anything I was maybe thinking a sharp screw driver and hammer and sort of chisel it out?
 
All great ideas thanks everyone...

next question is regarding breaking the rock... should I use like a mallet with a towel over it whilst wet? Help from shattering?

any ideal tools to say carve out holes in the rock? lol Home Depot didn’t have any ice pics or anything I was maybe thinking a sharp screw driver and hammer and sort of chisel it out?

You would be best to use a Masonry bit of some form. They are really hard and cut more like a chisel. there is specialty tools for rockwork that make life much easier.
 
You would be best to use a Masonry bit of some form. They are really hard and cut more like a chisel. there is specialty tools for rockwork that make life much easier.
Any recommendations off of like homedepot or amazon? I have a regular drill nothing to fancy but that should be fine!
 
Any recommendations off of like homedepot or amazon? I have a regular drill nothing to fancy but that should be fine!

Something like this but they come in all shapes are sizes. you will want a fairly large mallet for them though but a hammer might work too.

The drill bits will be under their own section but you really need a percussion drill i think. they don't really drill as i understand it but act more like a really fast chisel and chip away. if you want to do a lot it would be worth renting a nice heavy tool from a local tool shop. If you tell them your plan they will walk you through it and it should not be much or 30-40 dollars a day
 
Any recommendations off of like homedepot or amazon? I have a regular drill nothing to fancy but that should be fine!
I used a hammer drill for drilling the holes. I also had some old chisels lying around that I used to make smaller rocks and caves. I large hand saw would also work, but you will destroy it.
 
Should I get the rock wet before breaking it? Any tips for that?
 
And it will be super dusty and make a huge mess. Don't do it on carpet. I'm still cleaning up the mess.
 
And it will be super dusty and make a huge mess. Don't do it on carpet. I'm still cleaning up the mess.
lol you’re the best thank you for your valiant effort
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top