Clip on Fan to Lower Tank Temperature

b9b18a3300fbf22c6f2c9b7d1a349339.jpg


This is how I have mine placed tell me what you all think. Thanks
 
My tank has recently been going slightly above 81. I added a fan to the sump and now it stays at 78. Cheap and also has helped bring up my PH a little. Only downside is more evaporation but that's what we have automation for! :p
Right, if you consider the cost of electricity to buy/run a chiller VS. Top off water and a fan, it's probably cheaper all around to use a fan. If you wanted to get crazy you could blow a fan across a filter, like they do with swamp coolers. The chiller is actually a lot closer to the fan than you'd think. It's the same concept, phase change, latent heat of vaporization, but we're using water instead of refrigerant.
 
I use an $8 fan from big lots and my temp has been 79 - 79.1 most of the summer. It works good enough for me. Hooked it up to my apex and added a program to have it come on at a specific temp.
 
Do y'all not have air conditioning in your house? I just can't fathom a tank being too hot, I'm always worried about mine getting too cold. If I turned my heaters off my tanks would be way cold... high 60s to low 70s cold most likely.
 
By using a small fan that is clipped onto my sump directed towards the water inside will help to control tank temperature?
They do , at least 2-4 degrees, easily. You have to consider ambient temperature, humidity and fan speed for the effectiveness. Also remember they work by evaporating water, so an ATO is a must
 
Do y'all not have air conditioning in your house? I just can't fathom a tank being too hot, I'm always worried about mine getting too cold. If I turned my heaters off my tanks would be way cold... high 60s to low 70s cold most likely.

I don't turn on AC till an hour before I get home. So during the day, it's hot.
 
Do y'all not have air conditioning in your house? I just can't fathom a tank being too hot, I'm always worried about mine getting too cold. If I turned my heaters off my tanks would be way cold... high 60s to low 70s cold most likely.

If you run T5s especially over a big tank it will heat up the run a lot. I run AC all day with a ceiling fan and the room the tank is in when the T5s are on till gets close to 80 sometimes when its brutal outside.
 
Do y'all not have air conditioning in your house? I just can't fathom a tank being too hot, I'm always worried about mine getting too cold. If I turned my heaters off my tanks would be way cold... high 60s to low 70s cold most likely.

do run AC but T5s run hot but have to run them because they get the job done for my corals, don't run my AC 24/7
 
I have one on that blows across my Red Sea Reefer 250. My Apex is turns it on when the temp reaches 77.9 and turns off when it reaches 77.7. We have had many hot days in Florida this summer and my tank has not moved above 78 so far. The fan works really well. As far as evaporation. I have noticed about a gallon more a week than normal.
 
My frag tank and QT are in the garage, no AC out there. Frag tank has a chiller that was going almost 24/7. Temp gets to high 90's in there. I tried a large industrial fan over the surface of both, but it made very little difference because the ambient temp was so high. For the time being I have a portable ac unit (expensive and uses lots of energy) which brings the ambient temp down to the 80's. I think I'm gonna have to build a wall to isolate the aquarium portion my garage and just cool that area.

I like the frozen bottle method, I've used it in the past, the only issue is its not very consistent unless you keep switching out the bottles to keep a frozen one in the tank.
 
I've got two kids that's out of school for the summer and they are constantly running in and out of the house. My heater does a good job at keeping the tank at 78.3° with the A/C being set at 70° during school, but I noticed it was getting around 80° with them running in and out and dropping back to 78° at night. I purchased a 6" fan and a Inkbird controller. It has a heater plug in and a cooling plug in. I didn't use the heater side in fear of it getting stuck in the on position. I have the fan hooked up to the cooling side blowing across the tank. it cuts the fan on at 78.7° and maintains my temperature perfectly between 78.3 to 78.8. I couldn't be more happier with the Inkbird and fan combo
 
By using a small fan that is clipped onto my sump directed towards the water inside will help to control tank temperature?
I use a waterproof ball bearing computer fan on a thermal switch in my sump to maintain my temps. works great just need to keep in my mind the extra ro you'll need to replace tree evaporation
 
Fans are one of the cheapest and most effective means of cooling. Tank. They work by increasing evaporation, so you'll definitely need to keep an eye on the top off, but when you consider the cost of buying and running a chiller it's an easy decision. Remember that a chiller will also heat up the room more, meaning your house A/C needs to work harder, too.
 
Fans are one of the cheapest and most effective means of cooling. Tank. They work by increasing evaporation, so you'll definitely need to keep an eye on the top off, but when you consider the cost of buying and running a chiller it's an easy decision. Remember that a chiller will also heat up the room more, meaning your house A/C needs to work harder, too.
Chillers are very expensive to buy and to run. Just get a fan and fill the ATO a couple times a week[emoji6] . Easy decision for me as well
 
Chillers are very expensive to buy and to run. Just get a fan and fill the ATO a couple times a week[emoji6] . Easy decision for me as well
Even if you can't avoid the chiller entirely, simply reducing the amount it runs can save significant money.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top