Cloudy Water in New Salt Water Barrel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aspect
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Messages
1,413
Reaction score
819
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey, I just went to mix up new saltwater in my 55 gallon barrel and noticed the water was cloudy. I haven't added salt for a couple days so it should have had time to mix up. I have a large powerhead in there to mix the saltwater. I have a 7 stage 100 GPD BRS RODI unit that I just replaced the sediment and RO membrane filter. My DI resins are barely showing any color change at all if any. What could be the cause of this? I have the output of the unit split with a T for a top off barrel and that barrel is completely clear water.
 
That's typically a fairly hassle-free salt. Has it cleared up at all since you initially noticed it?
No, I drained the barrel and refilled it and it is still cloudy. I also noticed the barrel has what looks like caked on salt that is gray as well. Could it just be from the salt that got stuck to the barrel and didn't mix in?
 
No, I drained the barrel and refilled it and it is still cloudy. I also noticed the barrel has what looks like caked on salt that is gray as well. Could it just be from the salt that got stuck to the barrel and didn't mix in?
It could be. I'm leaning towards cleaning the barrel thoroughly. Is this a new pail of salt or one that you've been using for a few months now?
 
It could be. I'm leaning towards cleaning the barrel thoroughly. Is this a new pail of salt or one that you've been using for a few months now?
7 months old now
 
Possibly precipitate.
I recently had similar situation when mixing up new salt. Had an old mag drive pump used for mixing new batches of salt water.
Pump started going bad and was heating up the fresh water much faster than normal. Cause the new saltwater mix to precipitate out cause temp rose quick. Same salt I use, reef crystals. I don’t think it’s anything with the salt itself, I’m my case it was heated too quickly and caused the issue.
 
Possibly precipitate.
I recently had similar situation when mixing up new salt. Had an old mag drive pump used for mixing new batches of salt water.
Pump started going bad and was heating up the fresh water much faster than normal. Cause the new saltwater mix to precipitate out cause temp rose quick. Same salt I use, reef crystals. I don’t think it’s anything with the salt itself, I’m my case it was heated too quickly and caused the issue.
Okay so changing the powerhead out is my best bet then?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top