Clownfish losing color and not eating

Colin Gilboy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 21, 2018
Messages
83
Reaction score
24
Location
Pittsburgh
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 13.5 gal Fluval nano tank and recently I have lost some fish. We lost a blue barred dotty back an a mocha clown we are just left w one clown. I’ve done water changes since but the clown seems to be losing color and not eating. This tank has been up for about 3.5 months and everything was fine up till last week when we lost the first fish.
Salinity 1.026
High range Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite and nitrite 0.0

0459CDF8-6C5C-4BFA-B793-6E01D7189F90.jpeg


1DDD86A1-7AED-45C7-97BC-801B81DFCC02.jpeg
 
Could be a secondary bacterial infection setting in due to a parasite. Have to narrow it down, but with so many deaths that quickly, I'd say it's velvet.

Did the other fish lose their color as well? Kinda gold color over the whole bodies? Any of them swim into powerhead flow more than usual? Heavy breathing?
 
Just curious are there any new additions to the tank or were all three fish introduced together? I am not an expert and others will chime in who are but I would suspect Brook.
 
Velvet's as reasonable as any of "the usual suspects". I don't really see anything here resembling Brooklynella . . . and it certainly does seem skin/surface based, rather that internal, such as some of the bacterial issues we've seen recently.

I'd probably go with a velvet protocol, and possibly antibiotics for secondary bacterial infection. The discoloration along the margins of his fins has me thinking there may be some bacterial involvement.

Velvet protocol here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499399

~Bruce
 
Just curious are there any new additions to the tank or were all three fish introduced together? I am not an expert and others will chime in who are but I would suspect Brook.
No new additions the only two I added together were the clowns an a week or so later the dottyback. They were fine every since
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top