Clownfish not eating and swim weirdly.

WarmSensations

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Messages
135
Reaction score
52
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted yesterday about my new tank over https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-coral-arrived-but-my-tank-isnt-ready-please-help.467135/

Now that I have all the animals in the tank the clownfish seem to hang near the right wall where my filter is pouring out water into the tank. They have been swimming up and down in the same area since last night and do not eat anything I try to feed it. I had small sinking pellets but they would eat it then spit it out. I thought maybe it didn't like the food so I bought Reef FLakes and they didn't like those either. I don't want them to die of starvation or anything I just want t know what's wrong. I don't know how they are taking the water but the elegance coral opened up and looks nice so it can't be too terrible. Also how long will they last without food, a week?? Thanks

ammonia is still at 0
 
I posted yesterday about my new tank over https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-coral-arrived-but-my-tank-isnt-ready-please-help.467135/

Now that I have all the animals in the tank the clownfish seem to hang near the right wall where my filter is pouring out water into the tank. They have been swimming up and down in the same area since last night and do not eat anything I try to feed it. I had small sinking pellets but they would eat it then spit it out. I thought maybe it didn't like the food so I bought Reef FLakes and they didn't like those either. I don't want them to die of starvation or anything I just want t know what's wrong. I don't know how they are taking the water but the elegance coral opened up and looks nice so it can't be too terrible. Also how long will they last without food, a week?? Thanks

ammonia is still at 0
My clown pair refused pellets, mysis, Rod’s food, and selcon soaked food for 6 days before they gave in and got comfortable! Now they still won’t eat anything fresh, pellets only. They chose a spot near a rock and stayed within 5 inches of that area until I moved an anemone in. sometimes it takes them a little while to settle in, but I would test nitrate and nitrite, if you can, just in case.
 
Try getting some frozen mysis. You can thaw it and add Selcon Vitamins. They may be hosting the corner area of the tank. They kind of pick a spot to live.

Just remember to be patient and slow down.

They can go a few days, as long as they are in good condition. What were they eating prior to you getting them?
 
Don’t want you to start a shopping list but frozen or live brine although low on nutrition is a great enticed to get them eating.
 
Welcome!
Have your lfs test your water for other parameters.
Try turning off your blue lights and take a moment to watch tge fish make sure no outward signs of disease, marks, spots, fin damage etc.

Afterwards dim your lights substantially, new fish acclimate better under low or ambient lighting for a day or 2.

+1 on live brine shrimp. Cheap and great to entice feeding response.

Keep your hands out of the water for awhile and keep movement in front of the tank to a minimum. Reduced stress will help their appetite.

Get some test kits of your own for alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and salinity.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top