Clownfish with no pelvic fins?

Thumbster

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 2, 2023
Messages
287
Reaction score
195
Location
Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this clownfish yesterday to eventually add to my tank after quarantine and noticed that it does not appear to have pelvic fins?

I believe it is wild caught, due to the lower cost, but I didn’t ask at the store. This was $20 vs $30 for cb at another lfs. It was in a tank with a dozen or so other occellaris.

Initially I thought it had a prolapsed anus but it didn’t look to be in the right area, then it dawned on me that the stub looks to be where the pelvic fins are supposed to be.

Anyone ever ran into this?
 
The number 1 defect of tank raise clowns is the small or missing pelvic fins. Even Nemo is missing one of his pelvic fins.
I did not see the video. I am using my phone. However, I think your fish is a tank raise clown. Not wild caught. Today wild caught clown cost more than the common tank bred clowns, especially deformed ones.
One good thing is this won’t impact the mortality in f your clown.
I saw the video on my computer. That is a Tank Raise Ocellaris with the most common abnormality, plus other defects.
 
Last edited:
Ok thanks. It’s been a while since I’ve had a clownfish so a lot of this is new to me.

I picked him out because he was a brighter orange than the others in the tank. Did not even occur to me to look for fins.

I’ve got to ask what the other defects are so I know what to watch for.

Thanks again
 
Yep. Picked up a tank bred pair months ago. Didn't notice at the time that the larger one's pelvic fins are completely immobile, attached to her body just at the top and fused together. Doesn't seem to slow her down at all.
 
I have to post later with picture of WC Ocellaris, I am at work. Maybe another reefer can do this for you. I will try to do it tonight if no one answer your question.
 
I have to post later with picture of WC Ocellaris, I am at work. Maybe another reefer can do this for you. I will try to do it tonight if no one answer your question.
Well you’ve got me wondering about the other defects that you mentioned earlier. In the two pics below, assuming the top pic is wild caught, I don’t see much difference except for the pelvic fins and maybe a brighter orange color? Although the screen shot of the video from my fish isn’t exactly color accurate. Definitely not as bright as the top pic though.
IMG_0713.jpeg
IMG_0714.jpeg
 
Here are two wild caught Ocellaris in all their glory from the internet. the shape of the head, the size of the fins, the proportion of the body, They are all off. There is nothing you can point to that isn't wrong. The color is the least of the problem. They can color feed the fish and turn it into blood red if they wanted too. The picture you show is a good tank breed but not a wild caught. The pelvic fins are too small IMO.
It is difficult to tell between Ocellaris and Percula . The eye color (although this is very difficult in photo because of lighting) and the first part of the dorsal fin. This is the easiest way to differentiated between the two, as can be seen here.
WC Ocellaris
38-nemo-underwater-photography.jpg


WC Percula
548289143-56a89ad03df78cf7729f0cfa.jpg
 
Last edited:
Ok I can see what you’re talking about now.

Next question is where do I find a wild caught ocellaris or a tank raised one that looks as close to wild as possible? I’m guessing I’ll just go to the lfs every week and hope a couple come in?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top