Clowns swimming fast all over tank..

GHD1959

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2019
Messages
46
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 2 Oscallaris Clowns A couple days ago and I noticed that later in the day they start swimming quickly up and down all over the tank. They both ate some pellets yesterday and today but one fish tends to spit out a portion of each pellet and dosent eat as much as the other. I'm watching parameters and PH is at 8... Ammonia 0 ... nitrates 0 Phosphates 0.02....kh 7.8...CA 430... magnesium 1350... salinity 1.025-1.026...temperature 78.
 
Seems like normal clownfish behavior
 
As far as pellets or flake food. I've had good luck with prime reef flakes.
 
It's called 'pacing' and it's typically common with fish that are new to a system and/or fish that are experiencing stress. I wouldn't be too worried about it. If they keep doing it for a very long time then just keep checking your levels and make sure nothing in the tank is picking on them....but some fish just like to do it.
 
When I upgraded tank my female clown was Swimming all over the tank back and forth for about 4 days and eating not so good, until she found a nice spot and settled there, now she is the boss of the tank.
 
Do you have any other fish acting odd? If so, maybe stray voltage?
 
My clowns did the same thing. Back and forth up and down. Took a few days for them to settle in and claim their little corner of the tank. Literally for three days they swam at the top back and forth.
 
It's called 'pacing' and it's typically common with fish that are new to a system and/or fish that are experiencing stress. I wouldn't be too worried about it. If they keep doing it for a very long time then just keep checking your levels and make sure nothing in the tank is picking on them....but some fish just like to do it.

Good info! I've noticed this before and it dissipates over time. Now I know what to call it.
 
Perhaps one is chasing the other? They establish dominance immediately once added to a tank unless they r already a mated pair.
 
Well as of today the two clown fish I bought on Sunday were eating pretty good and today one ate and the other one is busy hiding in the back of the tank getting blown around by one of the power heads and just staying in the corner in the back... looks like breathing a little heavy and didn't eat anything other one was fine and ate...Any ideas?
 
Dominance play. Do you have enough room or hidey holes for the submissive one to get away? If not, could be issues.
 
No dominance at all going on ..they get along fine.
 
Just seems that one of them might be sick because it's breathing heavy and staying in strange spots in the tank and then eat anything
 
Also now he's trying to eat but doesn't.
 
Not lying on the bottom. Ate a few days ago.... trying to eat but not succeeding.
 
Like I said I got these two clowns on Sunday Today is Friday on Monday and Tuesday there were both eating and then one got what seemed to be a little weak I was blowing around while the other one was still eating well it looks better today but the one clown for still isn't eating so it's been about two and a half days I've tried all kinds of different food and he tries to sometimes grab it but doesn't eat it.
 
Like I said I got these two clowns on Sunday Today is Friday on Monday and Tuesday there were both eating and then one got what seemed to be a little weak I was blowing around while the other one was still eating well it looks better today but the one clown for still isn't eating so it's been about two and a half days I've tried all kinds of different food and he tries to sometimes grab it but doesn't eat it.

It's still very early in a new environment... just give them time to settle in. Both my occerais clownfish refused food for the first week or more. They need time to adjust to the aquarium to feel relaxed.
Keep an eye on the one that seems weak to make sure it's not ill and find out what they fed them in the LPS.

Just offer them some food with the pumps/flow off once a day.. remove what ever is refused after they show no more interest.

How old is the tank? Are there other fish in the aquarium?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top