CO2 and DI Resin, Mixed, Cation or Anion?

piranhaman00

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 24, 2019
Messages
5,023
Reaction score
4,995
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this topic is an open and shut case so I apologize, I just cannot find info on this question.

Recently moved to a new state and the DI resin is being used quite quickly, I am assuming from CO2 in the water. Well water, so no chlorine which made me happy but I wasnt aware of the effect CO2 has on the resin! Anyway, Im looking around trying to find the best way to set up my BRS 200gpd system. Does CO2 chew through both the anion and cation part of the resin? Could I put a canister of just anion or cation in the start before the mixed to pull out the CO2 without wasting the other part of the mixed? Right now I am just doing mixed bed and getting about 100 gallons from one canister.

Thanks!
 
you will need to degas the co2 from the water then run it through your DI resin... Can be as easy as a large airstone and a air pump adding lots of air to the water thus creating surface break and off gassing... Or you cold build a spray bar and pump system... co2 Degassing chambers is prolly the best way to go tho... I believe spectrapure website maybe is where I found it? But yah co2 gonna eat both resins.. So run it thru your ro unit... collect it.. off gas it then run it thru your DI.. My DI was depleting in about 50gals until I started degassing.. Now my DI lasts nearly a year
 
you will need to degas the co2 from the water then run it through your DI resin... Can be as easy as a large airstone and a air pump adding lots of air to the water thus creating surface break and off gassing... Or you cold build a spray bar and pump system... co2 Degassing chambers is prolly the best way to go tho... I believe spectrapure website maybe is where I found it? But yah co2 gonna eat both resins.. So run it thru your ro unit... collect it.. off gas it then run it thru your DI.. My DI was depleting in about 50gals until I started degassing.. Now my DI lasts nearly a year

How do you pump through the DI resin after gassing? Like what pump accepts that RO tubing?
 
How do you pump through the DI resin after gassing? Like what pump accepts that RO tubing?
you dont need much pressure at all. some folks even choose to gravity drain. I personally use this pump but I'm sure there is a cheaper option to be found.

 
you dont need much pressure at all. some folks even choose to gravity drain. I personally use this pump but I'm sure there is a cheaper option to be found.


Oh duh didnt think about the booster pump.

I will look into try this, thanks!
 
The anion resin has positively charged “exchange sites” to remove the negatively charged ions in the water. Anion resin is regenerated with 2 – 4% sodium hydroxide leaving the hydroxyl ion(OH-) on the resin beads. Anion would be safer with CO2
 
I know this is an old thread, but did you get a pump that worked for you, if so can you tell me what you ended up doing
 
I know this is an old thread, but did you get a pump that worked for you, if so can you tell me what you ended up doing

Hello,

I found out I am on city water so CO2 should not be the issue, I did not however test this. Imo degassing RO water then pumping through DI resin is more work then just replacing the resin more often. The reason for my fast depletion of resin is still a mystery, I am getting about 60 gallons per canister. Its quite odd. I was in fact just yesterday contemplating trying the anion or cation resin and seeing if it would help.
 
If you go with separate resin canisters the cation goes first. Otherwise it will eat up really fast. Chloramine will chew through di resin.
 
If you go with separate resin canisters the cation goes first. Otherwise it will eat up really fast. Chloramine will chew through di resin.
I have well water, my problem is co2
 
If you go with separate resin canisters the cation goes first. Otherwise it will eat up really fast. Chloramine will chew through di resin.

No chloramines here. Its strange, I have 10 tds going into the resin, it depletes around 60 gallons but the output TDS after the (visually) depleted canister never goes above 3TDS but the next canister depletes just as fast.
 
I have well water, my problem is co2

Was mostly meant for piranha sense they were mentioning switching to a separated resin set up.
 
Separating your anion and cation will give you a vague idea of what’s using up your resin. One will deplete faster and that narrows it down for you. My resin was getting smoked till I added a chloramine cartridge. Have you tested for free and total chlorine? Deduct the free chlorine from the total chlorine. The remaining total chlorine is chloramine. Most cities have switched to chloramine. Might be worth a shot. I picked up free/total chlorine test strips at a spa place for a few bucks. And co2 can still be an issue in city water.
 
Last edited:
Separating your anion and cation will give you a vague idea of what’s using up your resin. One will deplete faster and that narrows it down for you. My resin was getting smoked till I added a chloramine cartridge. Have you tested for free and total chlorine? Deduct the free chlorine from the total chlorine. The remaining total chlorine is chloramine. Most cities have switched to chloramine. Might be worth a shot. I picked up free/total chlorine test strips at a spa place for a few bucks. And co2 can still be an issue in city water. That would burn up anion resin faster.

Yes I test for chloramine and chlorine, very little chlorine and no chloramine. If chloramine was getting through my RO would be destroyed by now anyway, its not that.
 
Separating your anion and cation will give you a vague idea of what’s using up your resin. One will deplete faster and that narrows it down for you. My resin was getting smoked till I added a chloramine cartridge. Have you tested for free and total chlorine? Deduct the free chlorine from the total chlorine. The remaining total chlorine is chloramine. Most cities have switched to chloramine. Might be worth a shot. I picked up free/total chlorine test strips at a spa place for a few bucks. And co2 can still be an issue in city water.
I have well water it comes directly from the ground, there is no chloramine or chlorine
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top