Coal in your reef tank: Do you use carbon?

Do you use carbon in your reef tank?

  • I regularly use carbon in my tank

    Votes: 392 58.5%
  • I occasionally use carbon in my tank

    Votes: 173 25.8%
  • I have used carbon in my tank in the past, but no longer use carbon

    Votes: 58 8.7%
  • I have never used carbon in my tank

    Votes: 47 7.0%

  • Total voters
    670
ChemiPure Blue in both tanks but I think I might just use Seachem Matrix carbon. Get my nutrients up. What media bags does everyone like to use?
 
I run carbon. Aside from the usual benefits, running carbon and a good skimmer will provide a decent last line of defence against any cleaning products, soaps, lotion, etc that end up in the tank.
 
Still doesn't have anything to do with using activated carbon in a reef tank. Unless you support coal for the purpose of reef tanks that's what you mean lol.
Well read my post carefully, I do use carbon occasionally and all the time in My RODI unit.
 
No carbon for me. However I do use very low dose of Ozone to break down organic waste and 5% of weekly WC to keep my water sparkling.
 
I use carbon regularly via a dual-reactor. Due to possible HLLE potential from carbon use, I only use ROX 0.8 carbon and I put a new sediment filter in the 2nd camber of the reactor each time I change carbon, to ensure any potentially released carbon fines are captured by the filter, plus it performs some water 'polishing'. When I replace the carbon, I make a water change, removing the first 5 gallons with just the carbon and the second 5 gallons with the sediment filter in place. Works for me!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top