Coming out of the sand

kad1979

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2022
Messages
27
Reaction score
67
Location
Sarasota
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very new tank…3 weeks old.
Only have a few frags of zoas that are doing well. All were dipped.

Have this popping through the sand.

Looks like it has a little eye (arrow pointing to it) in addition to the tentacles. Can easily remove it but wondering if it is good or bad.

5FEFCAE3-A108-46E5-9885-A75BC0E41E22.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Very new tank…3 weeks old.
Only have a few frags of zoas that are doing well. All were dipped.

Have this popping through the sand.

Looks like it has a little eye (arrow pointing to it) in addition to the tentacles. Can easily remove it but wondering if it is good or bad.

5FEFCAE3-A108-46E5-9885-A75BC0E41E22.jpeg
I'm not entirely sure what that might be, but in regards to the corals, if it's a brand new tank at only 3 weeks old, that sounds a bit quick to be adding corals. Have you checked all the parameters to make sure they'll be ok? usually it is recommended a while for coraline algae to start growing before you decide to do that. I know the softer leather corals like zoas and poyps only need light, but it still sounds a little quick to add coral to the tank. I had mine up and running for at least 4 months before I added my Green Start Polyp.
 
sorry > I can not make out what it is poking out of the sand from the picture. Too blurry when I blow it up..
Does it retract into the sand when you touch it or come close? (could be a feather duster) or some sort of hitch hiker pest worm.....
 
I don't think it's a feather duster. I have one and the limbs don't look thin enough to match that.
 
I thought it was a feather duster but the reason I posted here was the little black eye. But now with the stripes it very much looks like a little duster. Maybe the black that I though was an eye was just stuck to it.
 

Attachments

  • 969C6676-B5AE-4CC0-A1AB-6CF386CC631A.jpeg
    969C6676-B5AE-4CC0-A1AB-6CF386CC631A.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 56
yes, from this picture, it does appear to be a feather duster. Those are cool little guys. I have 2 of them. Nothing to worry about. They are great filter feeders, just be careful during water changes. I had one previously and i accidentally crushed him while doing a water change. I was very upset when I realized that. You will be fine leaving him in there.
 
I thought it was a feather duster but the reason I posted here was the little black eye. But now with the stripes it very much looks like a little duster. Maybe the black that I though was an eye was just stuck to it.
was the little black eye in the center of the body? It could just be its mouth. Usually right in the center it's white, but there is a little black spot in the middle which is where it's mouth is.
 
I'm not entirely sure what that might be, but in regards to the corals, if it's a brand new tank at only 3 weeks old, that sounds a bit quick to be adding corals. Have you checked all the parameters to make sure they'll be ok? usually it is recommended a while for coraline algae to start growing before you decide to do that. I know the softer leather corals like zoas and poyps only need light, but it still sounds a little quick to add coral to the tank. I had mine up and running for at least 4 months before I added my Green Start Polyp.

Been at this hobby for quite some time. Parameters are spot on. They are zoas....not SPS. Will wait much longer before putting anything besides easy corals. I have isolated GSP too on a rock...

In the past I had only cycled the old school way of chucking in a shrimp, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

First time using Fritz turbo start. Pretty wild.

Already have a zoa baby....they are more than happy.
 
was the little black eye in the center of the body? It could just be its mouth. Usually right in the center it's white, but there is a little black spot in the middle which is where it's mouth is.

It’s a tiny duster. Hermit crab just ran over it and it retracted.

Thanks all.

The black particle that I thought was an eye must have just been stuck on one of the feathers.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top