Comments on this Polyfil fiber fill for my sump

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2018
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
467
Location
Birmingham
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i noticed this at wally world tonight and i couldnt resist such a huge bag for $3 so i got it! Its hypoallergenic,washable and 100% from recycled materials ..has anybody ever used this stuff and would itbe ok in the sump?

1575858414465.jpeg


1575858412655.jpeg
 
Watching to see what others say. I was actually looking around for something on this today since I have a big box of poly-fill. I read the skimmer can go crazy but I took a small amount and washed it first. I only ran it in the sump for about an hour to take out some of the particulates I saw in my tank since I did some t5s to supplement my Red Sea 90s for a hybrid lighting system. . So far so good.
 
Watching to see what others say. I was actually looking around for something on this today since I have a big box of poly-fill. I read the skimmer can go crazy but I took a small amount and washed it first. I only ran it in the sump for about an hour to take out some of the particulates I saw in my tank since I did some t5s to supplement my Red Sea 90s for a hybrid lighting system. . So far so good.

So youve only ran it once for an hour? Any other times for a longer period of time or is that your next goal? I thinking of just washing it a well really good and adding a great big wad of thus stuff to compact in the part of my sump where the sock goes...hoping it would catch alot more detritus man bc even though i run clean filter socks every other day there just seems to be an ungodly amount of detritus in my sump!! And i only have a yellow tang and 2 clowns
 
I honestly would think you would be ok with this. I personally do not use this but I have seen others use pillow stuffing and have had no issues.
 
This is the stuff I’ve used. Works great catches all types of crap and isn’t that expensive. Can make your skimmer overflow so I just rinse it in some tap water before I throw it in and never had a problem with it
538C405B-D442-4A87-A7A2-16E5158FC20F.jpeg
 
It’ll be fine. You want to avoid any with flame retardant chemicals. The one posted is 100% polyester.
 
Yes, that is what most of us with filter cups use. I fill 4 cups with it and change it out twice a week. It just takes a small amount.

20191113_205132.jpg 20191113_205150.jpg
 
Last edited:
Awesome!!! Thanks everyone for all the quick responses! Im getting so tired of changing and cleaning filter socks that really dont catch alot of dudu lol
 
A little hard to tell from the pics, but are you guys putting the polyfill in a mesh bag or just stuff it in the cup? No issues with fibera coming off and getting in the skimmer/return pump?
 
Been using the exact brand from wally world for years, no issues. I sometimes go into a MIchaels who has the same poly-fill for cheaper. Not much cheaper, but if I need some and my wife is headed there.....
 
A little hard to tell from the pics, but are you guys putting the polyfill in a mesh bag or just stuff it in the cup? No issues with fibera coming off and getting in the skimmer/return pump?

I put it straight in the cup. I haven't had a problem with strands getting into anything but I also have a packed macro refugium after my filter cups so that probably helps.

One of those four cups in my pic does have a mesh bag of carbon.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top