Compatibility scooter blenny/dragonet and gobies/jawfish

  • Thread starter Thread starter gmdcdvm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

gmdcdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2019
Messages
84
Reaction score
77
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I wanted to get some advice/insight. I have a scooter blenny who has been in the tank for two months and doing really well. All the other fish leave him alone as he roams the bottom of the tank and rocks in search of food. I would like to add another bottom dweller type to the tank. I was looking at some of the gobies or jawfish. I am just concerned if this will cause any issues. Don't want to lose Scooty (as my son calls him) due to aggression issues or being picked to death. Any thoughts?

Gerry
 
Jawfish are unlikely to cause any problems for a dragonet as are most gobies. Both of these fish species don't generally fight (unless with conspecifics) but rather flare their gills and mouth to try and intimidate anyone they'd like to go away.
The only thing you need to consider is competition for food and the jaws again aren't a problem and since most gobies are very sedentary, they also aren't likely to make any issues.
 
I added a scooter blenny to my RS 260 Max which has had a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp for some time. No problems at all. When the scooter gets too close to the Goby/Shrimp burrow you may get an aggressive stance from the Goby but that's it.

The little scooter blenny has been a fun fish. I've had a couple. Both started on pods only but after awhile were catching frozen food during general feeding.
 
I have been very lucky with mine. Started him on live brine, but he quickly transitioned to frozen brine, mysis, and occasionally will eat chunks of other stuff that moves in the current. I spot feed him with a long turkey baster since he can't compete with the other fish and shrimp in the tank. I have also seeded the tank with copepods and amphipods for him to hunt down and keep a small 5g tank with more pods as needed. Now he almost suckles the turkey baster trying to get food out. Probably don't need the pods anymore, but the other fish like them too.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Gerry
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top