Confirmed Zoas & Palys with palytoxins ?

Jr'sReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
432
Reaction score
395
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R'rs I'm new to the forum and have been learning a lot. I was wondering if anyone has started a thread that lists Zoa's or Paly's that are confirmed or have caused reefers symptoms in the past? If there is no list already made maybe we can start one that includes the name and photo so that all reefers can be aware.

I am aware that they should all be handled with caution but I'm sure over the years with soooo many people fragging we can put together a list that can narrow down the troublesome ones.

Happy reefing!
 
These have plagued my tank for quite some time. Last Saturday I worked to rid as many as I could. That night I had gotten sick, this isn't the first time either. It typically hits me a few hours after exposure. Symptoms include sweating, muscle spasms, headache, cant sleep, restless, and worse is vomiting. It typically last through the night and am relieved the next day. Every time I touch and remove this coral I get sick. I hate dealing with them.

IMG_8879[1].JPG
 
Hello R2R'rs I'm new to the forum and have been learning a lot. I was wondering if anyone has started a thread that lists Zoa's or Paly's that are confirmed or have caused reefers symptoms in the past? If there is no list already made maybe we can start one that includes the name and photo so that all reefers can be aware.

I am aware that they should all be handled with caution but I'm sure over the years with soooo many people fragging we can put together a list that can narrow down the troublesome ones.

Happy reefing!

Imo given the lack of species names used in the hobby along with the sharing of common names, i would find a list to be problematic. Also the amount of the toxin and the ability to deliver also can vary. One species might contain a lot but unable to deliver more than
.0004 µg at a given time. In short with any zoa/paly for that matter any coral i would practice proper safety. There are far more cases of bacterial infections from aquaria than palytoxin poisoning. :)
 
I would wear a face mask, respirator, and arm length gloves and rip every bit of that out of my tank even if it meant pulling out the rock.

I'm sorry, corals are awesome but my health is more important. Not to mention that looks really invasive.
 
please take all the precautions you can before doing any work with those protopalys.
Doesnt matter how potent any given paly can be because palytoxin itself is very potent by itself.
Too bad that getting new rock is the best way to get rid of them,plus watch how you get rid of these rocks too..hate to see any secondary issues of any sort.
Its a shame that all the designer zoa/palys dont grow like this, it would be amazing to see colony of Utter Choas this size..
 
Its a shame that all the designer zoa/palys dont grow like this, it would be amazing to see colony of Utter Choas this size..

I think my Sunny D’s are going to end up like this judging the growth I have seen in 4 months..... I’m stuck at this point too because I put them on the very bottom rock. Doh!
 
Basically ANY particular colony of zoanthid COULD carry palytoxin.
That said, you'll need to be very careful with ANY zoa, independent of the species.
Dan McNertney:
You need to get those very long gloves and syphon your Palythoas out while doing water changes.
q

Grandis.
 
I'm battling palythoa's in my system. My approach is to pull out just a few at a time each week using tweezers, then my weekly water change while running some GAC. I use gloves and glasses. When done, wash my hands thoroughly. Never had any reactions doing it this way.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top