Confused about quarantine tank and cycling

danielankeny

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 8, 2022
Messages
148
Reaction score
212
Location
Sudbury, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,

I just received my tank but still need to aquascape, plumb and cycle the tank. In reading about how to cycle a tank and minimize the ugly stage, I’m now thinking about the quarantine tank and am wondering if the QT needs cycled also and if not, is it just frequent 10% water changes that remove the fish’s ammonia waste? Am I missing something or over thinking here?

My QT setup plans:
20g tank
75w eheim jager thermometer
Seachem tidal power 35 hang on back filter
No sand, no rocks, will use PVC pipe for shelter
 
I wrote have followed this for tons of my personal fish.

I use BioSpira to add bacteria btw...

 
Upvote 1
Ideally you have a fully cycled QT tank. Many will seed sponges in their DT for use in the QT. Most just set up a temporary QT and monitor and manage ammonia with frequent water changes, which by default are often necessary when medicating or performing TTM etc...
 
Upvote 1

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top