Confused as to what to do.

Hanfam1111

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
60
Reaction score
40
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through trial and error over the past 9 months I came to the conclusion that my system just runs better and i have no issues if i continually run RowaPhos. Everytime i took it off big problems. Well now the issue is it’s been in there so long i have a huge amount ( i think) of biological filtration that has built up in my reactor. So much so that it is blocking the flow of water. So the time has come. Do I? Toss all media and spongers inside and reload the Roa? Or do i take it offline and sink the reactor in my sump and start another reactor. Or is the benefit of what i believe to be a lot of filtration not really happening ? Here are some pics.
1a377507da34531c7b93edf3c43b4c50.jpg
497ef50161a878c02c81fc3a2942335f.jpg
7ebe7309287770cf8234db5e84ccc2ee.jpg
4cb1175e45b4740df8158b0e4543da52.jpg
 
I run rhowaphos 24/7 and it’s the best single thing I ever added, and like you have found, it prevents problems, certainly in my case and looks like yours as well. Keeping phosphate very low is good in my experience and the recommend level is around 0.03ppm

It needs changing by the looks of it, if that’s what you mean, it looks a little clogged but the pictures aren’t that clear.
 
If you are worried about removing a potential biological filter (I think that is what you are asking?) I wouldn't worry about it. Assuming you have live rock, you have plenty of filtration. I would clean it out and replace the media....making sure you keep up on it going forward lol :)
 
If you are concerned about the loss o biological filtration just reace the rowafoss and feed lightly for a few weeks while the bacteria developed in other parts of your tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top