Connecting a new tank to my current tank.

Tdoan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 12, 2020
Messages
100
Reaction score
52
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for my fellow reefers.
The picture is of my first reef tank at a year old. It is a 40 gallon breeder build.
If is really growing and at this point doesn’t have many problems.
I would like to connect a 120 gallon tank I have in my basement to this tank. It has only been running a couple months.
The 120 has a 36 trigger sump and will be a frag tank.
Is there a big risk of crashing the 40 because of the parameters changing. What is everyone’s experience with this type of change.
Thanks

100A261C-38A1-43AD-9CE8-150732BBC24B.jpeg
 
Without knowing if one system is ultra low nutrient with SPS and other system is high nutrient macro algae mixed garden lagoon. I will make a general statement.

This doesn’t sound like a good idea. What benefit is a 40G young display going to provide for 120G prop/growout tank? I can assure you that the logistics to connect the two tanks on two differrent levels of your home is courting a wet floor.
 
Upvote 0
Without knowing if one system is ultra low nutrient with SPS and other system is high nutrient macro algae mixed garden lagoon. I will make a general statement.

This doesn’t sound like a good idea. What benefit is a 40G young display going to provide for 120G prop/growout tank? I can assure you that the logistics to connect the two tanks on two differrent levels of your home is courting a wet floor.
The reason is, I am eventually going to connect a 180 from the top level. But it really is about equipment.
I don’t want to have multiple sumps. I don’t want multiple Trident controllers. Plan to add a roller mat and don’t want to add multiple.
i do auto water changes on the 40 and don’t want to duplicate the system there either.
I don’t want multiple skimmers.
Really not worried about water on the floor I believe I can manage that.
 
Upvote 0

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top