Controlling hair algae in a macro fuge

toads74

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2017
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m restarting a 75g mixed reef after a cross country move. Before the move I ran a hair algae farm in the sump for nutrient export in a refugium chamber (skimmerless) Using a par38 30watt grow bulb. It worked well for the purpose, but I’d like to go with an actual macro fuge for growing pods, snails, etc., aesthetics, as well as nutrient export.

What critters would you use to keep the nuisance algae out of the macros? Specific lighting recommendations?

Thanks!
 
It hasn't really been an issue for me... I just have some trochus in there and used everything from a full spectrum led light that can grow corals to specific grow lights like kessil fuge to $20 amazon grow lights. I have a powerhead in that chamber which I think helps a lot too. The macro is very clean.. much like you would see in a macro display tank.
 
Hi, I’m restarting a 75g mixed reef after a cross country move. Before the move I ran a hair algae farm in the sump for nutrient export in a refugium chamber (skimmerless) Using a par38 30watt grow bulb. It worked well for the purpose, but I’d like to go with an actual macro fuge for growing pods, snails, etc., aesthetics, as well as nutrient export.

What critters would you use to keep the nuisance algae out of the macros? Specific lighting recommendations?

Thanks!
snails:
Astrea
cerith
trochus
Ninja star

10 carribean blue leg hermits
 
thank you both! Gonna go try to source some in the next few days.

do you feed them specifically, or just let them fend for themselves with whatever grows within reach?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top