Copperband and and SB Anthias questions

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
744
Location
Maine, USA
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I purchased a Copperband and a Squareback Anthias in a Lfs. The Copperband was eating frozen brine at the store (yes, I saw it eat). They both have been in stage 1 of tank transfer for almost 24 hours. I tried feeding some frozen brine, mysis and even some clam - they won't eat yet. The CB did take a couple nips of brine but spit it out. No sign of disease so far.

Should I try live black worms or wait another day and feed the frozen brine again?

Both fish look fine but are sticking to a corner of the tank. The CB will come to the front glass when he sees me.

I was thinking of using prazi as well but I want to get them eating first.

Thoughts?

8f880966a7092c90d9e62e573c60625c.jpg
d939914607e2d2b85538686ee7167c34.jpg
5262cb3d1d0f10a5c10b8241a81a34a1.jpg
 
I am no expert but both these fish are hard to get eating. For that reason, if there is not any outward sign of active disease, I would wait to medicate until they are eating. Most medication suppresses appetite which is the last thing you want. I might even hold off on the TTM with these fish until they are actively eating. I have lost both of these fish to starvation and it is not fun. If you can get live black worms it might get them eating. Clams on the half shell works well for the CBB and frozen eggs for the SBA work well sometimes.
 
Going to try some live black worms this evening. If both fish eat then I'll continue with TTM, if not I'll hold off until they do.
 
Going to try some live black worms this evening. If both fish eat then I'll continue with TTM, if not I'll hold off until they do.

Where do you get live black worms? Can I get them at a bait store ? My LFS don't have them.
 
Live black worms are not working for the cb. The Anthias ate a couple and then lost interest. The cb swims enthusiastically when the worms are in the water, but doesn't eat them.

Any ideas?
 
I got mine to eat today. PE calanus frozen food. Try it!
 
Noticed that he bent the tip of his bottom jaw some how today.... it's not a bad injury but it's definitely not going to help things, especially since he's not eating yet.

Things aren't going well.


a26a0f8008da0e8cb74240fbd6daf6af.png
 
Sorry :(
 
Noticed that he bent the tip of his bottom jaw some how today.... it's not a bad injury but it's definitely not going to help things, especially since he's not eating yet.

Things aren't going well.


a26a0f8008da0e8cb74240fbd6daf6af.png
Go to the grocery store and buy a few clams, break one open, put it in the tank and I bet the CB will eat. They love clams.
 
My initial plan was to perform a transfer before 5:pm today. The Anthias has eaten a little; however, the cb had not and now has an injury.

This tank was set up for tank transfer and is uncycled. I've been dosing prime daily and have a seachem ammonia badge that is currently showing ammonia between 0 and .02 (I've been siphoning the leftover food). I've got ten gallons of fresh water mixing. Since the Anthias has shown some interest in eating maybe I should perform the transfer? I'm not sure if/how the cb will make it with a damaged snout?

Should I perform water changes as suggested to get both fish eating or assume that the cb is a loss and perform the transfer? If the cb makes survives it will be a pleasant surprise.

Advice please?
 
@Humblefish
@melypr1985
Let these 2 chime in.

My initial thought is if the tank is not cycled, then begin ttm, as poor water quality definitely will not help the copperband.

I also think an antibacterial treatment is in order, but I'm not sure how that would work with ttm.
 
My initial plan was to perform a transfer before 5:pm today. The Anthias has eaten a little; however, the cb had not and now has an injury.

This tank was set up for tank transfer and is uncycled. I've been dosing prime daily and have a seachem ammonia badge that is currently showing ammonia between 0 and .02 (I've been siphoning the leftover food). I've got ten gallons of fresh water mixing. Since the Anthias has shown some interest in eating maybe I should perform the transfer? I'm not sure if/how the cb will make it with a damaged snout?

Should I perform water changes as suggested to get both fish eating or assume that the cb is a loss and perform the transfer? If the cb makes survives it will be a pleasant surprise.

Advice please?

Go ahead and do the transfers as normal. If the mouth gets infected, then antibiotics will be in order. In that case you would dose antibiotics every other day and you would want to do water changes right before each dose. That would happen for a minimum of ten days. Keep trying to get them to eat before doing prazi (if you can).
 
Go ahead and do the transfers as normal. If the mouth gets infected, then antibiotics will be in order. In that case you would dose antibiotics every other day and you would want to do water changes right before each dose. That would happen for a minimum of ten days. Keep trying to get them to eat before doing prazi (if you can).

+1 One of the upsides to TTM is you can safely dose prazi, antibiotics, etc. in conjunction. The water will never become a "toxic soup" of medications since it is 100% changed every 3 days. You just have to time your dosages to occur at least 24 hours before the next transfer; so you aren't wasting the medication(s).
 
Swelling has gone down on the Copperband injury and it doesn't look as bad as I thought, damage looks minimal. The cb is eating live black worms with regularity now.

The Anthias is not eating yet. He seems very unsettled, jumps quite a bit. I've tried brine, mysis, black worms and some cyclopeeze (I still have some authentic stuff in my freezer). I have a feeling this fish would do much better in the display, lots of space and rock work with high flow.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top