Copperband With Fin Rot - WONT CLEAR UP

InvictusReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2023
Messages
152
Reaction score
118
Location
Norton Shores, MI
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey All, So my Copperband has a fin rot issue that I cannot seem to clear up. I have him in a hospital tank and hes been there for 3 weeks and it just seems to get worse or at least show NO improvement. I have tried the following treatments.
API - Melafix Both Marine and Freshwater versions
API - Pimafix
Seachem - Paraguard
Formalin

Im am out of ideas so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

I can get pics when I get home today if they're needed but its exactly what you would imagine. Beautiful fish with disappearing fins.
 
The first two are snake oil, throw them out.

You need Abx, metro. I would use kanaplex + metro
 
Hey All, So my Copperband has a fin rot issue that I cannot seem to clear up. I have him in a hospital tank and hes been there for 3 weeks and it just seems to get worse or at least show NO improvement. I have tried the following treatments.
API - Melafix Both Marine and Freshwater versions
API - Pimafix
Seachem - Paraguard
Formalin

Im am out of ideas so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

I can get pics when I get home today if they're needed but its exactly what you would imagine. Beautiful fish with disappearing fins.

Can you post a video of the fish?
Is the fish still eating well?

Most "fin rot" has a cause of some sort of mechanical damage, do you know that it was in this case, and have you been able to stop it from continuing?

None of you listed medications are very effective against bacteria, and this is likely to be a secondary bacterial infection.

Jay
 
Can you post a video of the fish?
Is the fish still eating well?

Most "fin rot" has a cause of some sort of mechanical damage, do you know that it was in this case, and have you been able to stop it from continuing?

None of you listed medications are very effective against bacteria, and this is likely to be a secondary bacterial infection.

Jay
Yes I’ll get a video when I get home today. He’s been eating great but yesterday he didn’t eat more than maybe few mysis. So a little more worried now.
 
Pics will be nee
Hey All, So my Copperband has a fin rot issue that I cannot seem to clear up. I have him in a hospital tank and hes been there for 3 weeks and it just seems to get worse or at least show NO improvement. I have tried the following treatments.
API - Melafix Both Marine and Freshwater versions
API - Pimafix
Seachem - Paraguard
Formalin

Im am out of ideas so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

I can get pics when I get home today if they're needed but its exactly what you would imagine. Beautiful fish with disappearing fins.
Pics will be needed to determine what you have
These fish susceptible to lymphocystis and may be just that
Meds mentioned above rarely work even in freshwater and best suggestion will be after pics are viewed
 
Pics will be nee

Pics will be needed to determine what you have
These fish susceptible to lymphocystis and may be just that
Meds mentioned above rarely work even in freshwater and best suggestion will be after pics are viewed
Here is the video of Butters the Copperband.
 
He’s been in hospital tank for 6 weeks and he had all of his fins when he went in. Started treatment for uronema and got that cleared up but this showed in the process.
Do a good water change and treat with seachem kanaplex or neoplex
 
He’s been in hospital tank for 6 weeks and he had all of his fins when he went in. Started treatment for uronema and got that cleared up but this showed in the process.
What did you treat with?

I agree, those scalloped fins sure look like a smaller fish was nipping at it. I can’t account for that in a fish that has been held solo…..

Jay
 
What did you treat with?

I agree, those scalloped fins sure look like a smaller fish was nipping at it. I can’t account for that in a fish that has been held solo…..

Jay

The first two are snake oil, throw them out.

You need Abx, metro. I would use kanaplex + metro
Just wanted to post an update. Since dosing Kena and Metaplex he’s started eating again and looking better. Thanks for all the help guys.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top