Coral Beauty Color fading?

pinocchio

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 10, 2023
Messages
201
Reaction score
76
Location
NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Coral Beauty and was wondering if the color on the face is faded, or if this is the way they look.

Before people get all uptight, I did pick this up at a local Petco. Reason being is he’s been there for weeks on end and I know no one going there is going to pay for a fish like this so I figured I’d rescue him. He swims and eats perfectly fine. Super active as well.

Planning to do a full QT following protocol on the site and he’s already in 2.5 copper power.

Just wanted to see if the coloring is an indicator of anything else I should be watching out for.

First photo eye looks weird, but eyes are fine.

I’m
Thanks in advance.

IMG_0830.jpeg
IMG_0816.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I recently purchased a Coral Beauty and was wondering if the color on the face is faded, or if this is the way they look.

Before people get all uptight, I did pick this up at a local Petco. Reason being is he’s been there for weeks on end and I know no one going there is going to pay for a fish like this so I figured I’d rescue him. He swims and eats perfectly fine. Super active as well.

Planning to do a full QT following protocol on the site and he’s already in 2.5 copper power.

Just wanted to see if the coloring is an indicator of anything else I should be watching out for.

First photo eye looks weird, but eyes are fine.

I’m
Thanks in advance.

IMG_0830.jpeg
IMG_0816.jpeg
Yes it is faded, it could be a colour variant as this species is known for being vastly varied from specimen to specimen. It could also be a Juvenile colouring as juveniles of all fish tend to be less colourful however looking at the main body this is less likely.

I’d be careful with Copper and angels as they can be slightly more sensitive to it.


Here’s my CBA in contrast - The deep blue face but slightly less orange on the main body makes me think your’s is likely a variation (albeit mine is also a Tiger Tail). I also didn’t QT this girl and she went straight into my 4’ established reef with my 2 other angels.
IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I had a coral beauty for about 8 years. Twice over the years when I saw his color fading (and other symptoms) he had flukes. Treated the tank with PraziPro and everything was good.


Good on you for taking him out of the store and into your care. I've had good luck with Petco fish.
 
I had a coral beauty for about 8 years. Twice over the years when I saw his color fading (and other symptoms) he had flukes. Treated the tank with PraziPro and everything was good.


Good on you for taking him out of the store and into your care. I've had good luck with Petco fish.
Did curing the flukes help being back the color?

I plan on 30 days copper and then prazi treatment. He doesn’t seem to be scraping or struggling to breathe.
 
Yes it is faded, it could be a colour variant as this species is known for being vastly varied from specimen to specimen. It could also be a Juvenile colouring as juveniles of all fish tend to be less colourful however looking at the main body this is less likely.

I’d be careful with Copper and angels as they can be slightly more sensitive to it.


Here’s my CBA in contrast - The deep blue face but slightly less orange on the main body makes me think your’s is likely a variation (albeit mine is also a Tiger Tail). I also didn’t QT this girl and she went straight into my 4’ established reef with my 2 other angels.
IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg
So far he seems to be fine in the copper. Any signs I should be looking for?

Also he’s about 3” so I’m assuming he’s no longer a juvenile?
 
So far he seems to be fine in the copper. Any signs I should be looking for?

Also he’s about 3” so I’m assuming he’s no longer a juvenile?
Generally heavy breathing and any signs of copper burns is what you’re looking for.

3” I’d say he’s definitely not juvenile.
 
Did curing the flukes help being back the color?

I plan on 30 days copper and then prazi treatment. He doesn’t seem to be scraping or struggling to breathe.
100%. I had the coral beauty and the flame hawk in my avatar both get flukes at the same time. Both lost color drastically and were showing other symptoms (scratching against the rocks and sand and acting odd). After the flukes were gone, both recovered and looked super bright as they had previously.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top