Coral best survival after shipment

Alfiehar

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2022
Messages
6
Reaction score
32
Location
canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya everyone!

I'm actually posting for the best or good tips to prevent coral death after shipment.

I work for a salt water shop and sadly when we get shipments in, we do loose quite a few corals and I'm looking into ways on preventing it to a extent.
 
Were the corals already in bad shape when you receive them? Most of the shipped corals i receive are stressed from shipping. I dip them in Coral rx and place them in my tank without any issues.....haven't lost a coral yet. I even received a bleached acro, I dipped it anyways and placed it my tank. Its fully recovered.

In summary, most corals need a week or so and they'll carry on.
 
Since you are a shop I’m assuming you have a QT system if we’re talking about bringing in wild/maricultured shipments.
if that’s the case I would simply temperature acclimate them and get them in fresh water asap. Dipping them right if the bat will only stress them further.

Very anecdotal but speaking with people who has brought in a lot of these shipments I’ve heard that placing them under 6500k halides seemed to ease the transition somewhat if we’re talking sticks. No idea if that’s something that can be proven but realistically it could be closer to the spectrum that some of them are used to, depending on what depth they are collected/grown.
 
Since you are a shop I’m assuming you have a QT system if we’re talking about bringing in wild/maricultured shipments.
if that’s the case I would simply temperature acclimate them and get them in fresh water asap. Dipping them right if the bat will only stress them further.

Very anecdotal but speaking with people who has brought in a lot of these shipments I’ve heard that placing them under 6500k halides seemed to ease the transition somewhat if we’re talking sticks. No idea if that’s something that can be proven but realistically it could be closer to the spectrum that some of them are used to, depending on what depth they are collected/grown.
Not exactly a shop shop. We don't have a QT system set up. Working on that.
 
Fragbox corals has a couple videos about what they do with incoming into Canada. They do mention that the corals come in in rough shape since they have to go thru multiple flights to get to Toronto.
 
Fragbox corals has a couple videos about what they do with incoming into Canada. They do mention that the corals come in in rough shape since they have to go thru multiple flights to get to Toronto
We are right off from Vancouver. Some don't look to bad when they arrive but slowly deline over a few days.
 
Fragbox and J&L Aquatics are definitely great options for you. Fragbox seems to have this down to an art: I've lost very few corals over the years from them, even though "overnight shipping" takes three days and I've received packages from them in the dead of winter.
 
Fragbox and J&L Aquatics are definitely great options for you. Fragbox seems to have this down to an art: I've lost very few corals over the years from them, even though "overnight shipping" takes three days and I've received packages from them in the dead of winter.
We import in not buy within Canada unless something we desire is there.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top