Coral ID | Is this a Blasto or a Chalice?

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2022
Messages
98
Reaction score
62
Location
St. Louis
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a blasto or a chalice. Picked this up from my local reef store today for $20. I saw it growing on a piece if dead plate coral hidden in the back of one of their display tanks. I think it looks really cool, can't wait for it to grow out. One picture is of it being open, the other is it closed some (turkey based it a little to see the encusting base).

20220710_185511.jpg 20220710_185600.jpg
 
Chalice, blastos have distinct polyps that inflate on the end of small stalks the two on the right are blastos
AFD83F8A-0F8E-408F-BDC1-EB5544657676.jpeg
 
Chalice, blastos have distinct polyps that inflate on the end of small stalks the two on the right are blastos
AFD83F8A-0F8E-408F-BDC1-EB5544657676.jpeg
Thanks. I was thinking chalice was well. People at the store said it looked like a small blasto. But it has no skeleton to it that looks like a blasto. The heads on it are huge so I guess that's what fooled them.
 
Thanks. I was thinking chalice was well. People at the store said it looked like a small blasto. But it has no skeleton to it that looks like a blasto. The heads on it are huge so I guess that's what fooled them.
The tissue between the polyps is a dead giveaway. It’s what makes chalices cool. You got a really nice one, enjoy it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top