Could a bumblebee snail eat a newly moulted hermit?

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2021
Messages
47
Reaction score
5
Location
Worcestershire. UK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Completely new to reefing**
Panicking a bit as I am 99% sure my blue leg hermit just moulted he is tucked away in my rockwork and I don’t want to start moving rocks around to check through fear of stressing him in what I have read is a very sensitive time for them?
I have spotted the shed? Or dead crab alongside the shell. Not sure as it is very vibrant in colour and I thought moults would be pale?
anyway managed to hook some out as it fell apart as I hooked it from between the rocks and there is not a smell to us and it’s very light!
my biggest concern is a bumblebee snail which is literally sat next to the shell of the hermit and I’m worried that it may try and eat it if it is indeed newly moulted and so fragile???
should I leave it and watch?
Should I dismantle my rockwork to check the crab and or move the snail?
I’m sorry the picture in the tank isn’t the clearest it’s in a tight space and there is glare from the room but any advice would be gratefully received!

A3CC7AFE-8057-4E67-A2DC-41AD0FD4028D.jpeg 1606D8C4-FA64-41E4-A7B5-8FD783B325B9.jpeg
 
Do you have multiple hermits? My biggest blue leg like to eat 1-2 little hermits every month :mad:
 
Do you have multiple hermits? My biggest blue leg like to eat 1-2 little hermits every month :mad:
No I only have the one as was recommended against getting multiple, I only have a small tank at 57litre but he/she has not touched any of my snails so far which I was warned could also be an issue
 
No I only have the one as was recommended against getting multiple, I only have a small tank at 57litre but he/she has not touched any of my snails so far which I was warned could also be an issue
They'll typically go after snails when they need a new shell, I haven't had any of mine go after snails for food. But they're crabs, so they'll do whatever they want lol
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top