Crab Hitchhiker on LFS rock

BunBunCorals

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 17, 2021
Messages
20
Reaction score
8
Location
Indianapolis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 15lbs of some live aquaculture’d rock at my LFS and found a few hitchhikers. This little guy was a stowaway in some crevice. He’s only about the size of a US dime. Any guesses?! His claw tips are white (rounded not pointed) and has some red as well (as seen in video).

I don’t know if it’s useful info or not, but the giant pool they are using to make their own live rock is also mixed in with rock imported off the coast of Florida in the Gulf.
 

Attachments

  • FullSizeRender.mov
    24.3 MB
Possibly a rock crab?

robert_aguilar,_smithsonian_environmental_research_center_14427926216_c196c827c2_b.jpg
 
Correct me if im wrong as it was hard to tell- Doesthis crab have black tips on its claws?
If so, member of mithrax group and You DONT want it in your tank. Related to the gorilla crab.
 
Correct me if im wrong as it was hard to tell- Doesthis crab have black tips on its claws?
If so, member of mithrax group and You DONT want it in your tank. Related to the gorilla crab.
He doesn’t have any black tips. His claws are all white with tiny red marks on them. Similar to the porcelain crab markings. But I don’t think I’d get that lucky lol
 
I agree on the rock crab id. Unfortunately, these crabs can grow up to 10" and really aren't reef safe at any size. If you have a sump you could consider placing it in there as a janitor. I wouldn't want it in the main display though.
 
Last edited:
I don't know if this particular type is harmful or harmless. At this stage/size he's probably not, but as he gets bigger I'm not sure. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can weigh in,
They grow to about 12", they will be fine now, but a disaster later.
 
Their feeding habits should be considered questionable at best even when small. I wouldn't trust it around coral or other inverts.
Oh my word. 12” plus crab… yikes haha. I will keep the little guy in the sump for now as soon as I catch him with a trap. Maybe make a nice crab cake in a year or so Thank you so much for your help!
 
Oh my word. 12” plus crab… yikes haha. I will keep the little guy in the sump for now as soon as I catch him with a trap. Maybe make a nice crab cake in a year or so Thank you so much for your help!
He should do well and make himself useful in the sump. As he grows you can offer him a little supplemental food as well from time to time. I personally don't like to kill things either if I can find a use for them.
 
Not sure it will do well long term in the tank. Those get huge and might be better off on a dinner plate than in a sump long term... If you know of somebody who wants to keep a crab like that I'd give it away but that is pretty unlikely.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top