Critique my rockscape and are these safe?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2019
Messages
3,687
Reaction score
1,834
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks being “cured” but will these be harmful in the future? And how’s my rockscape? Thx

094EC91A-7EAF-4C42-992E-FD7AB9176246.jpeg AF83D9A3-5D42-47A7-BEC1-9738A67E3596.jpeg
 
If you plan on having a 2" layer of sand, then you will want to raise the entire rock work structure up a bit with either PVC "posts" or baserock under your structure. Otherwise, that low overhang on the left strucure and the cave on the right structure will be hardly accessible by fish, etc...
 
If you plan on having a 2" layer of sand, then you will want to raise the entire rock work structure up a bit with either PVC "posts" or baserock under your structure. Otherwise, that low overhang on the left strucure and the cave on the right structure will be hardly accessible by fish, etc...
It will about 1” sandbed. I have tried to raise up but didn’t like the look but thanks for the comment
 
It will about 1” sandbed. I have tried to raise up but didn’t like the look but thanks for the comment
If not elevating, then draw a line 1" above the bottom rock and see if that "look" is what you are after since those bottom rocks will be 1" buried in your sand...and your structure will look 1" shorter in size. Raising the structure slightly 1" with something will keep the look you have now...that you like.
 
Yes, those rock nodes are safe. Dont know what to call them so just called them "nodes". They are typical of Fiji live rock
 
So I am going back and forth whether I should use the old sand. Mainly now is that I have two more days before heading back to work and just want to get it done.

is this safe? It’s from the old sand with a mag float. I understand there are magnetic sand but I just can’t tell if there rust or what. Just on the safe side, I prob get new sand

Can you start cycling with the rocks then add sand later?

637F1D26-01C5-46EF-9E96-F967F6987F68.jpeg
 
Yes, get new sand. You can start cycling with the live rock now. The addition of the new sand shouldn't be too much of an impact to the overall cycling process.
 
Live or dry sand?
Sorry, I edited prior post to make my prior post clearer.
Live or dry shouldn't matter. I've never used live sand to start a tank. Most people here, at least from the posts I've read, say that loive sand is a waste of money (live sand meaning packaged wet sand with bacteria added to it). For my new build, I'm starting all live sand (carib sea aragalive) just cuz I think the bacteria will help to cycle faster, but my tank is 240gallons.
 
It will about 1” sandbed. I have tried to raise up but didn’t like the look but thanks for the comment

Scape looks great. If you raise it up one inch won't it be exactly the same look as right now? You can also use egg crate cut into small 2" x 2" or slightly larger squares to create pilars for each base rock. Just super glue and stack until you reach desired height. That's what I do.
 
Scape looks great. If you raise it up one inch won't it be exactly the same look as right now? You can also use egg crate cut into small 2" x 2" or slightly larger squares to create pilars for each base rock. Just super glue and stack until you reach desired height. That's what I do.
I am not using egg crates or acrylics sheet, just sand. I have removed the left lower piece as of now because I have a beautiful pagoda coral I want to place there.

312BDC28-A874-44E9-B134-2960DB3B17F8.jpeg 543C5292-8866-4896-9A8F-536E2ED1877A.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top