Culture your own Phytoplankton!

6. after a week, split the culture into new 'sterlized' flasks (ro/di h2o and rubbing alcohol), now I have 4 flasks going

What ratio of ro/di h20 to rubbing alcohol are you using? Any reason for using ro/di h20 vs. tap water?
 
I used 2 1/2 gallon water jugs from Walmart. I put the phyto in the container, added freshly made saltwater at 1.019 and got my phyto growing. This may be bad, but once a week I add miracle grow and marine essential from Kent. During the week as I take phyto out, I put fresh saltwater in. 16 hours of light a day. I havent cleaned or moved a jug since I started. Maybe I'm playing with fire, but if used a ton it.
 
I used 2 1/2 gallon water jugs from Walmart. I put the phyto in the container, added freshly made saltwater at 1.019 and got my phyto growing. This may be bad, but once a week I add miracle grow and marine essential from Kent. During the week as I take phyto out, I put fresh saltwater in. 16 hours of light a day. I havent cleaned or moved a jug since I started. Maybe I'm playing with fire, but if used a ton it.
sounds to me like you're doing just fine.
 
Bringing back an older thread. I’m attempting my first culture of nanno and tetra in separate containers. I’ve sterilized the containers and rigid tubing.

When adding saltwater, can you use 1.026 or does it need to be lower like 1.020 like I’ve read. Also, when making the saltwater, should I sterilize the bucket I’m making the saltwater in?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top