Curious About Dosing Schedule for Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium & Iodine.

JaysLittleOcean

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2015
Messages
488
Reaction score
172
Location
Mohegan Lake, New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
I am running getting ready to setup a new doser on my JBJ 45 RL AIO aquarium which is housing primarily SPS corals and I was curious to how long I should wait between dosing each specific chemical? I had an issue with raising my Magnesium levels in a past aquarium but my Calcium & Alkalinity where well within range. I would like to spread each dose accordingly over a 24 hour period (example: 20 ml over 4 doses every 8 hours). Any suggestions would be great. Thank you in advance.
 
There should be hardly any need for magnesium on a daily basis, and it doesn't matter when you dose it.

For calcium and alkalinity (especially alkalinity), I'd spread out the daily dose as much as your system allows to keep it stable. I'd not dose the calcium and alkalinity at the same time, but space them out by at least a few minutes.

For iodine, it doesn't matter when you dose, and IMO, even if you dose at all or not since I don't think it is typically a useful additive.
 
Last edited:
Thank you Randy! Why do I not need to dose Magnesium? Interested in learning the thought process behind this.
IMHO and sorry for interruption I think Randy was saying there is not need for dosing magnesium on a daily basis.
But that doesn't mean no dosing. Just that once a week or so would be fine.

On the diy two part for my old 55g I would dose 300ml of the magnesium solution when I used up the one gallon solutions for calcium and mag. Which took several weeks.

my .02
 
So I am curious what would happen to prevent my Magnesium levels from raising past a certain point. Let's say it's stuck at 1130 but Calcium and Alkalinity are in acceptable ranges?
 
Yes, pick magnesium chloride anhydrous. It will be very close to the value since that should be 90% of the product, and the remainder has similar properties. :)

FWIW, the Brightwell web site has some incorrect claims about that product, so don't rely on all of their info.
 
Yes, pick magnesium chloride anhydrous. It will be very close to the value since that should be 90% of the product, and the remainder has similar properties. :)

FWIW, the Brightwell web site has some incorrect claims about that product, so don't rely on all of their info.

Thank you Randy. I am going to. I have only had problems with their Magnesion-P supplement. Calcium, Alkalinity and Strontium seem to work and get to the correct levels. I am considering switching to ESV Magnesium when this runs out. Or do you have another manufacturer you would recommend.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top