Curious on how frag swaps work and what to expect?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zachtyd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

zachtyd

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2019
Messages
685
Reaction score
686
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, wasn’t sure which category to post this under I’m sorry. But I am going to a frag swap soon and will be bringing Miami hurricane frags and mini colonies as well as some mushrooms, local one off palys (California gold), and a couple others I’m sure but was curious what to expect? Is it just swapping with vendors like trading? Or do you also buy things? Are prices lower than a standard lfs?
 
Depends on what kind of swap it is. Is this local to you, like a local club hosting, if so they probably have a website of facebook page that would help you understand what exactly to expect. Is it put on by a fellow reefer? My local club puts these on as do some members as well.
 
If it is a bigger swap with national vendors like Jason Fox etc, there is going to be very little if any swapping going on, at least if you are bringing stuff in bags. If you have a booth setup it will be different. The different vendors will swap with each other or they will swap with you if you make arrangements with them prior to the swap. Just hard for them to really tell what they are getting if you just have stuff in bags. Plus they will mostly be looking for higher end stuff they don't already have or something that they can easily sale.

If this is a local swap then there can be more swapping going on. Again, I find it harder to swap when everything is in bags and you can't really see it.

In the end, frag swaps are no longer really swap meets like they were initially. They are 95%+ selling by hobbyist/vendors. Our local club tried to keep our local frag swaps to just local hobbyists but most sell corals on the side so much that it is hard to say they are true hobbyist.
 
Depends on what kind of swap it is. Is this local to you, like a local club hosting, if so they probably have a website of facebook page that would help you understand what exactly to expect. Is it put on by a fellow reefer? My local club puts these on as do some members as well.
Loacal swap by a local vendor at his house
 
If it is a bigger swap with national vendors like Jason Fox etc, there is going to be very little if any swapping going on, at least if you are bringing stuff in bags. If you have a booth setup it will be different. The different vendors will swap with each other or they will swap with you if you make arrangements with them prior to the swap. Just hard for them to really tell what they are getting if you just have stuff in bags. Plus they will mostly be looking for higher end stuff they don't already have or something that they can easily sale.

If this is a local swap then there can be more swapping going on. Again, I find it harder to swap when everything is in bags and you can't really see it.

In the end, frag swaps are no longer really swap meets like they were initially. They are 95%+ selling by hobbyist/vendors. Our local club tried to keep our local frag swaps to just local hobbyists but most sell corals on the side so much that it is hard to say they are true hobbyist.
Okay that’s what I was thinking and it’s being held by a local Facebook vendor at his house with other locals
 
Okay that’s what I was thinking and it’s being held by a local Facebook vendor at his house with other locals

That sounds cool. Never seen anyone here do that but then I don't really follow anyone on facebook. I do know several of the guys selling locally on facebook will allow you to come by their house and pick up the corals you buy from them. I actually found a guy that lives in the neighborhood across the street from mine on facebook (or it may have been on here) and I bought a few things from him and picked them up at his house.

Maybe PM the guy and see if he knows of anything people are looking for and tell him what you are wanting. That way some of the trades could be worked out before you get there.
 
That sounds cool. Never seen anyone here do that but then I don't really follow anyone on facebook. I do know several of the guys selling locally on facebook will allow you to come by their house and pick up the corals you buy from them. I actually found a guy that lives in the neighborhood across the street from mine on facebook (or it may have been on here) and I bought a few things from him and picked them up at his house.

Maybe PM the guy and see if he knows of anything people are looking for and tell him what you are wanting. That way some of the trades could be worked out before you get there.
thats awesome what the heck! But yeah that’s a good idea!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top