custom lids? are they worth it or not? other solutions??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Devaji
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Custom lids are nice, but not worth the $$ to me. I suppose I'd think about it if I had something like a bowfront; but even then I'd probably still DiY. I just use the standard screen frames from HD and 1/4" black cicada netting (I really dislike the clear BRS stuff).
 
I love my DIY lid and so does everyone else. I personally think it looks better than the acrylic ones.

20180825_195733.jpg
20180816_202958.jpg
I love that lid. I've got the same tank. How did you make it?
 
I’m in the process of getting a quote for a toplid, I love the way they look!
 
I actually have a question for reefers with cats... What is the best lid for keeping them out? We have Siberians (they're fairly large), the largest of which is at or almost 14lbs and still growing... For my freshwater tanks i use glass lids only because i dont have an ato on them. Any sturdy lid recommendations that will still allow good gas exchange?

Edit: i would prefer to avoid a hood, if possible. Im not a fan of how they look.
 
I’m pretty happy wit my Red Sea DIY screen top.

Very easy to build, great fit, and priced well.
743d78a4d25f3ae14d68957167a7b561.jpg
12e7823aa9844a24828f0527f1c326cd.jpg
cf7d5766b56e0b462f2ae4aa20f99f57.jpg
6bdd2c5e8c7f7caf8823af40f6ffffed.jpg
 
@jaegers thanks for the pics love that elbow attachment! I made one kinda like that but it got all bent out of shape. do you have any bending problems?

whats the matte tulle fabric for??
Thanks! Haven't had any issues with bending thankfully. I glued the ends together for added stability.

The matte tulle is the screening material I used.
SmartSelect_20180828-200327_Instagram.jpg
 
I have one from artfully acrylic and it is very very well made and fits my Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula perfectly. I removed it about two weeks ago because I hated having to keep taking it off to fix coral that has detached or work on anything in my tank. The problem is in the past two days My lineatus fairy wrasse($300) and a gladiator clownfish($60) jumped out and I was fortunate enough to be here when they jumped out and put them back in the tank. So I think the $300 investment for a nice lid is worth it. Next time, I would order one with a few more cutout doors though instead of only two that I requested.
 
I actually have a question for reefers with cats... What is the best lid for keeping them out? We have Siberians (they're fairly large), the largest of which is at or almost 14lbs and still growing... For my freshwater tanks i use glass lids only because i dont have an ato on them. Any sturdy lid recommendations that will still allow good gas exchange?

Edit: i would prefer to avoid a hood, if possible. Im not a fan of how they look.

I have Zilla lids on some of my tanks. No inside cats, but my youngest kids and my Jack Russells would climb on top of my 50 gallon from the couch. The steel mesh is powder coated and very strong, yet pretty easy to cut. I would like to get some of those plastic pass through things like for threading cords through computer desks just to give the cut part a finished look again.

I’m considering making a diy version for my 125 with vinyl coated hardware cloth and using paint intended for boats on a frame made of baseboards.
 
Last edited:
I have Zilla lids on some of my tanks. No inside cats, but my youngest kids and my Jack Russells would climb on top of my 50 gallon from the couch. The steel mesh is powder coated and very strong, yet pretty easy to cut. I would like to get some of those plastic pass through things like for threading cords through computer desks just to give the cut part a finished look again.

I’m considering making a diy version for my 125 with vinyl coated hardware cloth and using paint intended for boats on a frame made of baseboards.

can you post a pic of your lid plz. I that sounds cool.
 
can you post a pic of your lid plz. I that sounds cool.

It sits outside the rim so would work on a rimless too. Sorry, I only have one on a fw right now. I can’t find the one of it on my 29 saltwater tank that is now my sump. Well, there is one on my sump but it’s too dark to see.
F62A3DFB-7B62-49CB-AE24-4BFBE62AE33A.jpeg


D270EEFB-BD9D-404F-BE37-0463C9DFB800.jpeg
 
I have Zilla lids on some of my tanks. No inside cats, but my youngest kids and my Jack Russells would climb on top of my 50 gallon from the couch. The steel mesh is powder coated and very strong, yet pretty easy to cut. I would like to get some of those plastic pass through things like for threading cords through computer desks just to give the cut part a finished look again.

I’m considering making a diy version for my 125 with vinyl coated hardware cloth and using paint intended for boats on a frame made of baseboards.

Huh interesting. I would have assumed the salt would rust through the metal which is why I didn't consider that a viable option. Thanks, I'll have to try it out when I get my tank set up.
 
After spending thousands on the Red Sea tank, thousands on critters spending hundreds on a great custom lid is a no brainer. Love my toplid- integrated moon light is super cool and their customer service is great.
5e497f96c5e5a18e0a08d44e64d3680d.jpg
402b3884052b0f211c3e237670433b2a.jpg
that looks amazing!!!!
 
I just built a canopy and mounted my lights on top. No way a fish is jumping out of that.
 
I actually have a question for reefers with cats... What is the best lid for keeping them out? We have Siberians (they're fairly large), the largest of which is at or almost 14lbs and still growing... For my freshwater tanks i use glass lids only because i dont have an ato on them. Any sturdy lid recommendations that will still allow good gas exchange?

Edit: i would prefer to avoid a hood, if possible. Im not a fan of how they look.


Scat mats will keep them off the top.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top